Pottytraining tips?

My daughter is almost 3 and we still have made absolutely NO progress with pottytraining. She was interested a year ago, went once and lost interest. Now we cant get her to even try. She has no interest whatsoever. She even changes her own diapers/pull-ups when she needs to, but wont use the potty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She won't go to college in diapers...

It will become important to her, and with any luck that will coincide with her ability to do all of what is necessary: the ability to recognize bladder (or bowel) fullness; the ability to stop the reflexive clenching of the muscles that empty them; the ability to get in and out of all the clothes necessary; the ability to communicate the need to others who are willing to work around it every single time.

She wants to grow up, it is innate for children to have the drive to mature and master their bodies, their own lives and their world. You can't push it any faster, but you can interfere with it and create long lasting and physically dangerous psychological impediments.

Do you know any guys who can't pee in a public washroom? Ever heard of impacted bowel syndrome? Are you aware of the background of the 'golden shower' fetish? There is no benefit to hurrying.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well I'd see pull-ups as one part of the problem. What motivation does she have to have the ease of pull on stuff if she knows she can just pee/etc. in them and not have to sit in it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• throw away all your diapers, and pull ups and dont buy a new pack, put a potty chair in your living room or bathroom and either leave her bare or w undies and after awhile shell use it it took us less than a week, and we did have a couple pees on the floor lol but it was worth it but when we used potty training and diapers, we quickly found out hed use it always if he was wearing it and he didnt want to wet undies my sister did stickers and suckers w her girl and it took her 2 days lol and it worked she even cried on the potty the first day but wanted the stuff so bad she did it both were potty trained completely by 2
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I am a BIG believer in "when they are ready..." BUT there is a LOT we can do to help move it along.

Have you tried "naked week"? Undies only and have her pick them out. Maybe motivation?
    Otherwise, I'd say commit to silently making diapers more unpleasant for her physically so she doesn't LIKE her diaper. Get some cloth pullups (Gerber makes some cheap ones)
    Key thing I found; my son is a rather willful person, so as soon as I got "into" potty training and started putting any pressure on, he PULLED BACK. So, I listened...and pulled back too. It was smooth sailing from there; all "no big deal". Focus on the going not the where. Build a routine where she tells you WHEN she is going and let her see YOU go on the toilet. I also read my DS those potty books; that helped A LOT I think. Keep the pressure off and the "this is just what people do" attitude.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when she was around 2, i said no more diapers. it didn't take long for her to catch on. she made incredible progress very quickly. maybe try the naked week like the pp's suggested.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2010