This Story is SAD BUT TRUE: Police Officer shoots dog. adult content

Yes, in our town a few day ago a officer shot a dog. Officer went to serve an arrest warrant on a juvenile and the young man started to run. He went thru several yards and went thru one where there(an enclosed privacy fence)happen to be a 10 year old rottweiler. The dog was to have bit at the officer pants (not breaking skin/did not need medical attention). Officer shoots dog six times. Juvenile has not been caught. Owner comes home and his 8 year old son learns his dog is gone. Owners said police said the officer was in the right. In the meantime, there is a nice family in a nearby town, gave this young boy a new puppy free ($800) same breed and markings. What do you think? What I don't understand is why the dog did not attack the juvenile who was running from the police first or why the police officer did not hear the barking dog? What is your opinion?

JOCKEYP2PMOM

Asked by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 8:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Dogs are dogs. I have NO issues with the police using deadly force on a human OR animal that threatens thier safety
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The Officer had a right becuase the dog attacked him. Yes the officer went into a private yard but they are allowed to when chasing someone. I think the officer could have used the taser gun, I think shooting the dog with a gun espeically 6 times is wrong. The police force should have bought new dog, plus expenses.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• IMO the dog would not have stopped at just grabbing his pants,he would have hurt the officer pretty bad.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• six times seems excessive.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• That's complete bullshit.......that cop ran into a private yard, didn't get hurt at all and had to shoot the dog 6 times??? Why 6, wasn't he hurt enough after the first????? I understand the cop feared for his safety but that seems like it was extreme.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The dog didn't even do any damage to the officer!!! If someone ran through my yard (officer or not), and my dog bit them (I have a rottie/shepard mix----who is super sweet but protective), and then they shot him 6 times I would SUE the pants off of the police department!!!!!!!! I don't think it is right to be sue happy, but that dog didn't do anything wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 9:04 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We've had cops here shoot dogs, in yards, on the street, in a person's home.

My son is a cop (AF cop) ~ and I would still shoot a cop that shot one of my dogs if they chased someone into my yard and shot one. I'd likely shoot the person they were chasing as well ...

If it makes anyone feel any better, I'd shoot an animal that came in and injured my dogs or my livestock as well. I've seen the signs that say 'forget the dog, beware the owner'. Mine should say 'be nice to the dog, the owner is armed'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Who was this guy..Barney Fife? I think it was over the top and I would have been beyond pissed if this had happened to my hound. BTW, what did the kid do to have a warrant issued for his arrest.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• if anyone trespasses on my property, shouldn't have to control either of my dogs. dogs shouldn't have to be on a leach in your own fenced in yard. NUTS!
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• OK if the cop ran into the property even if he was chasing a perp that is not right. The dog was restrained on his own property and the cop had no search warrant or any thing legal to be there. If it were my dog I would sue the fucking city. Pets are part of your family, and should not be shot for defending their property, Shit my dog is trained to disarm and hates uniforms. The only way I will allow a cop in my house is if they have a search warrant and animal control to restrain and mussel my dog. For this reason they would have to kill him.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010