Anybody own a Dog AND a Cat?

My daughter wants a cat. We already have a mini pincsher/jack russel mix (about 15 lbs) and I am not opposed to getting a cat, but I am worried how the dog will react? He chases cats out of our yard and gets very excited and jumpy when he can see my dd playing with them (he watches through the window while she's petting neighborhood cats...). Just curious if anyone has advice for teaching these two foes to get along?

stringtheory

Asked by stringtheory at 9:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Pets

• yes! we have a pit bull and a cat! we kept jude (cat) in a bath room for a few days so duke)dog) could get used to his smell and then we took them out side so they could meet! duke is very protective as most pit bulls are so we had to do it on equal ground! they didnt like each other at first but now they play and run around the house all the time! i even caught them sleeping in the same bed! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• some rescues will ahve a cat that is used to dogs so ask around find one of those
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have 2 cats, and 4 dogs, a pit bull, a large lab,a beagle and a chihuahua..Mine gets along fine with the 2 cats in the house, you might have to keep them separated at first and slowly let them interact with each other.
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 9:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• lock them in a room together and let them duke it out lol the only thing i can think of is to hold one while someone else holds the other and let them sniff each other and get used to each others scents. eventually the dog and cat will get used to one another.
    bradymoma86

Answer by bradymoma86 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• And they too are house dogs... and they have been together for ever as well...
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 9:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We have 2 cats and a dog (Jack Russell/poodle mix). We had our cats first though so I'm not really sure what would help. But I can tell you that once they are used to each other they will become the best of friends........I swear that my dog even thinks he's a cat at times!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• lol, i guess that is an advantage, mine acts like a cat sometimes already
    stringtheory

Comment by stringtheory (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I own 3 dogs and 4 cats. He may be totally differant towards the cat in the house. I had an aussie that would herd the cats around the yard but ingore them completely in the house. All of my animals are used to fosters coming and going so they all get along great. Three of the cats were bottle raised so they have no fear of dogs. They consider my 80 pound dog their personal jungle gym and he just lays there.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, that play and get along well. It takes atleast 7 days for the animals to decide the pecking order. So, if you bring home a kitty and things don't go over well, give it time.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i have 5 dogs and the only 2 who go after the cat are the basset hounds.... the beagle, chihuaha/ rat terrier and the pitt bull don't mess with her
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010