when can a a baby start eating cereal???

okay...i was thinking on giving my baby cereal when she turns four months...or should i wait till wic gives it to me???

starz16

Asked by starz16 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was getting cereal in his bottle by 2 months and being spoon fed oatmeal by 4 months. Cereal isn't going to hurt your baby if you use common sense. You will get tons of people saying don't do it! Your baby is too young, don't put it in a bottle..... blah blah blah Lots, I'm almost willing to say most, moms give their children cereal/solids before your are "suppose" to and their babies are fine I'm sure. Go with your gut. If you feel like it's worth giving it a try go for it. If your DD doesn't like it than she's not ready. No harm in trying.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 5:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• 4months is perfect to start cereals.

with a spoon though... some women start putting cereal in the bottle.. weird... feed it with the spoon.. the earlier you start it the earlier your child will get used to more solid food :)

have fun with it.. i loved it so much... we took a video of our daughter getting fed with the spoon the first time.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I also started giving my son cereal in his bottle at almost 2 months, by 4 months he was eating oatmeal and very mashed potatoes. Everyone has their own opinion on when to start giving their kids what, so I guess it's totally up to you. If your daughter is taking a alot of milk then it might be a good choice to start her on cereal. But it's totally up to you.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 5:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• wic should start giving it to you at 4 months, that when they give it to us. you're supposed to wait as long as you can but the docs say the earliest is 4-6 months, because if you do it earlier than that there's a chance your baby can be obese and develop food allergies. as for me, i wait until 6 months, i don't worry about having to get up once a night to feed my DD a bottle. i did it with my son. i have a few friends that gave their babies cereal in a bottle at 2 weeks, and their babies are pretty thick, but the reason why they gave it to them that young is because they wanted them to sleep through the night. oh and give it to her through a spoon, not the bottle. even doctors say that.
    Anonymous

• 6 months.. don't force her/him! They'll give you clues when they are ready they don't need anything else till around the 1 yr mark .. And you are NOT supposed to start too young(2mnths) their little digestive tract isn't ready for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but then again you probably formula feed too....
    Anonymous

• A FF baby can start cereal by 4 months a BF baby should wait until 6 months and can wait even longer. BTW cereal is never needed, other foods are better and just as safe as a first food. Heres a link on starting solids
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ignore anons slader.. I would also ignore the first comment. There is scientific proof that you should not start earlier than four months recommended to wait six months. It isn't blah blah blah it is facts, but facts offend some people. You can talk to the WIC nutitionists about it, nutrition is what they studied for four years, a better first food would be avacodoes which are full of good fats and vitimins compared to the cereal which has relatively no nutrtional value.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Finally someone with sense!!!-Thanks Nats!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My daughter who is 6months now is being b/f. Her pediatrician said that she could start cereal, from a spoon, at 4months. But no wheat due to possible allergies. At 6months I started giving her baby food for lunch and she gets her cereal for breakfast and supper. (1Tablespoon of dry) baby food is about 2Tablespoons max.
    uniquelynoone

Answer by uniquelynoone at 6:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My daughter started cereal when she was two months if he seems like he's not getting full from just milk anymore you know that it's time my doctor told me two months is the earliest to start though. They have feeder bottles but my daughter wouldn't use them so I just fed her with a spoon.
    Amanda_87

Answer by Amanda_87 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2008