C-section Incision

my incision is opening up, I've had drainage while at the hospital and they told me just to watch it, they took my staples out and sent me home. I had my baby on wednesday was released on Saturday, I called once my husband told me it was opening and called my doctor, I've been changing gauze on my incision every 2-5 hours and he said to call on wednesday if its still draining, how can I get it to heal? and what happens? do I get more staples? stiched up? do I have to stay in the hospital? If anyone can help me with this problem I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 9:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Health

• Make sure your keeping it DRY....it's very important for it to heal properly. You literally have to let it air dry after your showers and before you put gauze on it.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't know. I don't remember having this happen with my incision but it was just over 17 years ago and the did not use staples. I'm surprised, considering the location of such an incision that they would have used staples. I hope you find something to help with this. I'm really feeling for ya right now and sorry I am not more help.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my sister's opened up and got infected. they put some sort of antibiotic string thing in there for the infection..... i don't think they stitched it up or anything, she just had to keep changing the dressings and keep it clean. hers healed up really ugly because of the infection. i really wish i had known you before you had your c-section so i could have told you to tell the dr. to do disolving stitches instead of staples.... the staples are so disgusting and cause a lot of problems and extra scars :( but gl and keep it clean. call the dr. if the discharge gets stinky or looks green or yellow puss.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• mine got infected and i had to be stitched up after staples out cause it kept tearing open due to my bronchitis cough at time of c section. best of luck
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The same thing happened to me. Fortunately I had a dr's appt the next day. They put a sterilized strip across the opening. They didn't stitch it up or anything. I had to keep it clean and dry, and. The only thing is, after the healing, I can tell where the opening was. I feel for you, I remember the feeing I had when that happened to me. Take care! (((HUGS)))
    Natly2007

Answer by Natly2007 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• yep keep it clean and dry, my corner pulled open a little bit, keep doing what you are doing, keep changing the gauze, make sure its the kind that just absorbs and not the fabric-y kind that can get stuck and just keep pulling you open every time you take it off is it actually open open or just oozing? Oozing is actually normal because its part of the healing process, but I had to wear the nonstick gauze for about 2 weeks before mine finally stopped. Good luck momma and congrats on the little one
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• This happened to me too. I ended up taking the tape off too early before the right side could fully close. I had dissolvable staples and you could see the staple..it freaked me out. SO, i had my husband put another piece of tape on until i could be seen. I also ended up developing an infection (nothing serious) I had a yeast infection on my site. Make sure you keep it dry. When i went to the doctor they cleaned it up and told me that it will close and heal on its own and it did. However, my opening wasnt all that big.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• also try to stay off your feet as much as possible to reduce tugging and what not so your skin can do it's thing and let it heal th ebiuggest thing will be preventing infection keep it clean keep it dry everything should be fine congrats!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010