Please help I have tried everything possible to stop my son's cough...He was diagnosis with bronchitis/Asthma today and is on predisone,ZPak, Albuterol...Nothing seem to stop his cough..I feel bad can someone suggest something

spence25

Asked by spence25 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It takes more than a few hours for bronchitis to go away. You just have to wait until the meds are well into his system.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:26 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Okay thanks..Can he take Mucinex or Bendryl
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• None of those are cough medicines really. Ask the Pharmacist if there is something OTC you can give him with those meds... and make sure he is drinking lots of water. You can try a spoonful of honey - that is said to help coughs!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Thanks I did that already..I am afraid to mix anything with all the rest of themeds he is on...Well I guess it will be sleepless night..I am so sad and feel so bad for him...
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Okay thanks..Can he take Mucinex or Bendryl...

Benadryl is not a cough med... it's an anti-histimine
    Mucinex is and expectorant... and will thin the secretions - it will help some

He need a cough suppressant as well. Call and ask a pharmacist what he can take with the meds he is already on!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think you should give him anything else. It should take 2-3 days and you will notice a difference. Try to keep things low key with him, the less stimuation the better. Relax, no running around, no getting excited and no belly laughing---seriously these well encourage bronchilar spasms. A cool mist humidifier may help too.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Okay thanks so much..I will..
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• no cough meds
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well thans QandA I just spoke with the pharmacist he said not to give him anything OTC without notifying the doctor...Just have to wait it out..Thanks everyone for getting through this moment..I will post his condition tomorrow.Hopefully his cough would have cease a little..
    spence25

Comment by spence25 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The inhaler will help with the cough. But it needs time to work.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010