How do I help my daughter lose weight?

She has lived with her father since age 4, and I got to see her for the first time today. She is 10, and she is 400 lbs heavier now then she was at age 4. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I hope you seriously dont mean 400lbs.......maybe you meant 40-I hope. If you are going to be a part of her life now, you need to teach her all you can about healthy eating and staying active. When you have her, you and her can cook healthy meals together and run around the park. Maybe enroll her in soccer or softball or something to keep her active.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• :( I hope it's not 400lbs too. You have to get rid of the junk food. My daughter likes alot of Mcdonalds and pizza's, but we put her in soccer instead of cheerleading this year and before bedtime she only eats fruits and yogurt. She likes to say I'm hungry right before bed and I say no only fruits...
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• OMG... if you do mean 400 lbs, you have to get her in counseling first!! Teach her healthy eating habits and don't even think of bringing junk into your house. Snacking is ok if the choices are healthy. My SS was overweight when he came to live with us. Only about 10-15 lbs, though. I quit buying chips and cupcakes. I always have fresh fruit and veggies in the house. I made the change for everyone so he didn't feel singled out. He is a healthy weight now. If she is really 400 lbs overweight, I doubt you will have much luck getting her to play any type of sport. Start small, by taking walks every day. And good luck!!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Take things slow.. Take walks, and use that time to get to know her. It will help because she won't notice you trying to get her active. Food wise, find out her favorites and make them more healthy by subsituting the fats...
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 10:43 AM on Oct. 17, 2008