getting tattooed while breastfeeding

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on getting a tattoo while breastfeeding. I've read different information about it everyone has something opposing to say. My baby is 2 months and I'm pumping my breastmilk for him. I was planning to get a tattoo done with my sister in November..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not a doctor, but did you read if the ink would do anything to your breast milk? Other than that I'd say go for it.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• honestly i would wait just because you never know. i waited til the year i was done breast feeding and i had planned on getting mine before we got pregnant with our 3rd surprise, hahaha!
    Ericha7

Answer by Ericha7 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's not a good idea to do while in the act of breastfeeding. As long as you get it from a safe place there is no problem.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Great question although I don't k ow the answer. I'm breastfeeding, and was planning on getting a tattoo very soon. I really think it would be okay, but talk to your tattoo artist. I'm thinking it is probably safe because I'm good friends with my tat artist and he hasn't said anything about it. He would never do anything to harm my baby.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• as long as they use a sterile needle you should be fine and i wouldn't go to anyone who didn't lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would ask a doctor this
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Most artists will tell you no if they know you are nursing and mine says the reason isn't because they use dirty needles. With clean needles you can still get an infection from it and that would not be good and there have been no studies on whether the ink passes in the milk or not. I personally have been waiting since August of 2004 to get another one since I have either been pregnant or nursing or both. Now that I am done nursing my last one we are broke go figure!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Hormones can have an effect on the quality of the tattoo. I got the same color ink, same brand, different points in my cycle. My period causes me to throw out ink and the result is a muddy tattoo. My guess is the nursing hormones are just as unpredictable.

So I'd wait.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My tattoo artist said he would not tattoo me when/if I was breast feeding... I've never seen anything saying it was okay to get a tattoo while breastfeeding or pregnant... I'd wait.. but, that's just me.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 10:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I generally advise against it. Many tattooers won't even do it if they know you are nursing. Tattoo inks are generally safe, but some can contain allergens and or dyes from exotic plants which can be dangerous to baby. And because the dye can stay in your system for up to weeks or longer before it works it's way out, it's not like alcohol or medication where you can pump and dump... You also have a greater risk of infection while breastfeeding which can not only warp your new tat, but can also cause harmful chemicals to be released in your body... I'm due in Dec. and I plan to nurse for at least a year, maybe two... So I'm not planing on getting my next tat til at least 2013, which is killing me - but very worth it if it keeps the lil one safe!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010