Do I have to nurse/pump every time I feel a let down?

Sometimes I feel one only an hour after I nursed or pumped. Why is this happening? Are let downs suppose to feel a tad painful? It isn't very pleasant when I get one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never thought them to be the pleasantest feeling, but I eventually got used to the tingly feeling. You don't have to nurse or pump every time you feel one. I think it's good to take advantage of them, but if you get them often, don't wear yourself out.
    hobbyhorse

Answer by hobbyhorse at 9:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The let-down is when the milk sprays out. If you are getting them when you aren't nursing then milk should be shooting out. Many women don't feel anything. You may are feeling something else if no milk is shooting out. Let-down feels good to me. Breast pumps can cause breast trauma and if you are pumping you can have problems from that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Milk won't necessarily shoot out when you feel a let-down, but you will probably leak. It felt like the same sensation as the pins and needles thing when your foot falls asleep to me at first, now I barely notice it. You don't have to nurse or pump, but if you want to pump when you feel a let down, just do it about an hour after you nurse.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Letdown can be painful. I never felt it the first time and it hurt like a B the second time. The pain only lasted a few weeks. You don't need to pump, you can just press in on your nipple with your palm when you first feel it and it will make the milk go back up and prevent leaking. I don't feel it anymore and we're 18 months in.

If milk shoots out, that's called overactive letdown. Normally it just drips out.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i don't...
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you don't have to pump or nurse every time you have a let-down, but i didn't have many if dd wasn't nursing. are you having a lot of let-downs while baby is not nursing? how old is your baby? let-downs were uncomfortable for me for the first year, and for the past almost year they've been pretty painful.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 13, 2010