Why can't we have moral beliefs any more? Why are we ok with everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• to quote a smart CM friend of mine, because we have become so open minded all our brains and common sense fell out...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 7:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think this question is a very inaccurate assumption. I know that I have moral beliefs and and deffinately NOT ok with everything. I am not affraid to speak my mind and work to change things that I can. If something doesn't jive morally with me, then its not "ok."
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Sorry, but that's too much of a generalization. There are plenty of people with good moral beliefs. But some people are more tolerant or open-minded about certain things and this may conflict with other people who don't feel the same way. Or when we hear a lot of terrible things happening on the news we may innacurately assume that no one cares or has morals.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 6:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i don't see much people with moral beliefs. especially on here.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think she means as a whole, coz to me it seems like the world is "ok" with just about anything and everything...

and as to why...
    coz there's sin in the world, it all started with Adam and Eve and it's just escalating and there's not going to be any change (it's going to keep getting worse) until Jesus comes back....

All we can really do right now is live our lives morally, and set that example...

well some of you may not like what I have to say...but I don't care...I believe the Bible is the true word of God, I'm not tryin to start anything I'm just answering a question...
    Allikats-momma

Answer by Allikats-momma at 6:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• A lack of morals in my opinion is when people say terrible things or do terrible things to others that do not have the same life style or beliefs as themselves.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• What exactly are we okay with? If you pick up your history book or even your bible you will see that many of the things that became Taboo never were in the ancient world... Does that mean they didn't have morals? NO! It's immoral to lie. I don't know anyone that says "Yeah, Lie!!" It's immoral to kill, steal, cheat... once again... I think people will almost always agree that these are bad things... SO what is it that we are all okay with?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• We are no more open minded or tollerant today than we were 2000 years ago... The difference is that the religions that grew in popularity all said "This is bad" or "We can't do this" so all of a sudden this stuff became "WRONG" it was never meant to be wrong... It's not new stuff... The anciet civilizations were all very "open minded" and "tollerant". That's because that what people are born to be... Morals are an inner knowledge from birth... Killing is wrong... we know this even as a child. We don't have to be taught it... There is a difference between morals and religious limitations... People today are finally getting to a point where the religious limitations are no longger holding... That doesn't make these people immoral.

• Wow.... there's an overstatement.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• First off, this question is based on several bad assumptions...

1) That there was some golden time of morality (there wasn't)
    2) That there are less morals now than in this mysterious golden time of morality (their aren't)
    3) That "we" (whomever that is) are "ok" (whatever that means) with "everything" (wow...thats a broad category that makes an impossible statement)
    4) That there is some kind of universal set of morals and moral behavior (there isn't)
    5) That what society consideres moral behavior has remained stagnant over time (it hasn't)

That being said...

What is more moral? A society that hunts down, tortures and puts to death individuals that are different, have different thoughts and different beliefs? Or one that allows and tolerates behaviors in others that while an individual might not agree with, but cause no harm to themselves, or their civil rights?

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008