this is a touchy subject...

ok i had to do a pulic speaking paper..teacher gave me AIDS..
while reading up on it..i found out that it dates as far back as 1965...1st ever reported case was allegedly a gay,AA,prostitute...
but skip to the present..i read that cause young kids are becoming sexually active so young now that the AIDS epidemic is 3x higher in kids btween 11-15 now..im still sorting out my reasearch..but my point is if this is true..
how do u feel about our AIDS epidemic reaching such a young demographic at such an alarming rate..?

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Okay ... the first sentence of your post had me reading it several times! I thought your teacher ACTUALLY gave you AIDS. Now that I've cleared that up for myself ... I think it's alarming to hear that. Kids younger and younger are engaging in sexual activities - it's scary as a parent.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think it is reaching them, because AIDS is not talked about anymore. I am 31 and graduated in 1998. When I was a kid and teen AIDS was preached about and taught about everywhere everyday. I never hear about it now.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think alot of it has to do with parents not properly educating their children
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Unfortunately I'm not surprised. Disappointed-Yes, but not surprised.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well considering that there are millions of babies born hiv+ i really don't think that is the worst of it... i live in the dc area and the rate of hiv/aids cases here is very high. but anyway about how i feel about it is sad. i feel really bad for the kids born hiv+ and they are basically doomed because their mother didn't bother to get any pre-natal care. it's really sad
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• thx for making me realize that i posted it funny..but i agree with everyone..an its scary what my kids are getting into with they guys an girls..who arent getting tested
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's sad but true....More parents need to tech their kids about protect sex (condoms)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i live in the DC area...an i have watched a few teens die quietly an nobody knew that they had died from it..but the parents an a few close friends but it wasnt from their parents..it was from the young ppl sharing each other..i mean actually sleeping with this guy he pass her to that guy...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It does boil down to the fact that we are not teaching the dangers of sex to kids. Safe sex is preached and condoms handed out, but until kids are taught the effects of HIV/AIDS and really made aware of how many STDs are with you for life I don't see a lot changing. Parents need to quit relying on the school systems to educate their kids about sex and STDs and take responsibility for making sure their kids have the facts and can made informed decisions, even into the tween years.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It is disturbing. And parents still insist that it is OK for their children to have sex as teenagers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010