ADHD & 1st grade spelling

My 6 year old daughter just started spelling test and she has to practice her spelling. The way I learned was to write each word 5 times each day. We've shorted this to 3 times each for her. She get one word written out once and starts playing with her pencil for 5+ minutes. Just looking for suggestions on keeping her focused on her spelling, or other ways to help her learn her spelling words.

greenfrogchic

Asked by greenfrogchic at 9:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We hang the words on the cabinet and I ask her how do you spell_______ while I am cooking and cleaning up. The day of the test , Hubby quizzes her on the way to school.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• is she diagnosed ADHD? just curious my son did the same thing last year, he was just bored....and had no desire to do his homework it would take hours to get through 1 or 2 things that were redonkulously simple. Drove me batty! My best advice is just be patient and accept it, maybe set a goal reward, if she gets it done in X time she'll get X not a bribe but a reward for setting a goal and achieving it.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well, you want her to learn her spelling words, right? I don't really think that having her do less work will actually help her learn. Perhaps she should write them 3 times in the morning and 3 times in the afternoon - that way, she never has to do 5 all at once.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We homeschool and I do the 5 times each thing with our son for spelling for the first day of the week as well. I have changed it this year - 3 times a word for those I know he knows (he's in 3rd so he has longer words) and 5 for those I know he doesn't know or may have trouble with. On good days (like today) he'll get them done in 20 mins or so, on bad days, like several weeks ago, it was taking him like 1 1/2 hours! I just tell him it's his own times he's wasting because he has less time after his schooling.

One activity that we now do on Thursdays is one he enjoys and lets him move around. Take her outside or to a room in your house where she can move around a bit. Have her do physical things while spelling the word - and change it for each word. Jumping jacks for the first word. Hop like a frog while spelling the second word. Run in place for the third word. Etc.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Get one of those mini trampolines and say each letter with each bounce....P L A Y..... the movement in conjunction with saying the letters helps them remember...

ORRRR..... Toss a small ball...with every catch she makes let her say a letter....J U M P...

Movement...incorporate movement!!! :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Oh by the way...the trampoline idea is good for all other sorts of memorization things...especially multiplication facts!!! Just a tip...it can be used for years to come :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• learining and moving is good.
    I also do 3 times but change it up, one time trace, one time copy, one time by memory (each time saying the word, each letter, then the word)
    My sons teacher had them write then trace the words 2 more times each time in a diff color (not brown or black)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I really like the idea of quizzing her while allowing her to move around and do active things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Repeated writing is one way.

Another way is to do stairs.

S
    ST
    STA
    STAI
    STAIR
    STAIRS 

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:37 AM on Sep. 15, 2010