do you stare when you see a person with a difference?

my son has tourette's and i am amazed at how many people stare at him. I don't know about other people but my son who is 9 would love to tell you about his tourettes if you just ask. He wants to raise awareness and realizes people are curious. so maybe try asking next time instead of staring. maybe it makes people feel uncomfortable.... but imagine the stares ... and how uncomfortable they make him feel... he is not blind or stupid after all... his words not mine..:)

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• no, but people used to stare at me when i was really fat. i really find it hard to believe that someone would feel less uncomfortable if someone came up to them and said 'what's wrong with you?"..... good to know lol. but usually i mind my business and don't worry about other people
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No I don't. I believe that we all have imperfections, whether they are visible or not. My eldest daughter (now 21) has vitiligo. It came around the age of 5. She has received many stares, and she always knew why they were staring. She'd look at that person with a cute little smile. While I'm standing there staring the normal person down, waiting for them to look up at me and get my glare. Which always said "Shame on you." She was always so strong about it, and that empowered me. Because I was becoming angry and she wasn't. But, just as you said, I would have rather had all of those who stared at her ask questions, and maybe learn something from our situation, rather than stare, and walk away ignorant.
    Natly2007

Answer by Natly2007 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have a 12 year old son living with autism, and people stare at him when he starts "stimming" , meaning he flaps his hands when he's excited. I tell them that my son is living with autism, and I share with them the number for our local autism resource center.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nope I do not stare at people who are different.. I stare at the normal people....I am different and I am curious at what normal looks like...
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 9:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• lol you just made my day!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• sounds like you've got a smart. well-adjusted young man! Congrats for that, but sorry the public are a bunch of toads!! I usually only stare at the Tshirt I wanna read or the person whose gender I'm trying to figure. Still kinda rude, yes, but the Tshirt wearer asked for it.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 9:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• lol
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Why would I? Just today I saw a little person (sorry don't know what the proper thing to say for them) I didn't stare at all. Just greeted the m and talked to them like they ere just like any other person. Even with down syndrome people I don't stare,treat them like they were normal. I don't see differences in people.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I admit to taking a second glance but I would never stare. My son has gotten plenty of stares when he is having a melt-down in public and I would never want to be that person!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What is life other than a staring contest anyway? People that stare are people that have no respect and were never taught anything other than to stare. When my kids stare I smack them upside the head and tell them its rude to stare and ask how they would feel if people stared at them, or how they feel now that mommy is yelling at them and everyone is watching. I don't tolerate rudeness and I envy everyone that handles it with "compassion" I'm surprised your son doesn't tell people to take a picture because it'll last longer. Happy for you that he wants to raise awareness and my heart is with you when dealing with the general public.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 9:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010