when do boys start puberty?

my nine and a half year old is constantly have melt downs and attitude problems, along with bouts of crying over silly things. We have tried talking to him about this, but he just shrugs and responds with a "I dunno" when we ask him why he is doing this. There are no physical signs of puberty..but could his hormones be kicking in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• That sounds about right for pre puberty it is when the brain and body prepare for the onset of puberty and it can cause emotional issues. You should give him more freedom and space to see if it curbs the outbursts.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's possible. Puberty really depends on the individual person. I don't think there is a definite time or age as to when it happens. I noticed when my sons voice all of a sudden sounded really deep.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think that's it. I don't remember those kinds of changes in my boys and my oldest grandson is 12 and his voice has changed and he is pretty well along into puberty, and we have seen none of the behaviors that you describe. I would look into other possibilities.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Could be.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Well anything is possible, but I don't remember drastic emotional changes like that with either one of my two boys. Honestly, the very first sign we had was when they started stinking to high heaven when they came in from playing outside! My older son was around 10 1/2 and my younger one was closer to 11. I have certainly heard of some boys having the emotional upheaval during puberty, but I think that is pretty rare (at least in my family). I would maybe make sure he is not getting picked on at school or at the park. Maybe he is having a fight with his best friend or something equally tramatic to a boy that age. I wish you the best of luck and I hope he starts feeling better soon!
    laffin4fun

Answer by laffin4fun at 10:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010