saturday i took my daughter to the er....

She was having diarrhea, had a fever, runny nose and red and puffy eyes. The doc in the ER said she had an upper respiratory infection and an ear infection. He gave her some antibiotics and sent us home. Well she hasn't really gotten any better yet, which i know it takes a while for the meds to kick in but she's started coughing now...she's 11 months old and she's my first child so I'm new to all of this. I'm concerned because she wasn't coughing on saturday and now she's got this horrible "wet sounding" cough. Is that most likely from the drainage or something? Should I take her to see her pediatrician tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is normal for an upper respiratory infection. didn't they tell you to go to your own dr. for a follow-up? i would just go to the ped. whenever they told me to go in for a follow-up
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sounds like drainage. Have you tried saline mist in the nose? That can help safely clear the mucous. Always follow up with a doctor you trust until your LO is back to health. It'll make everyone feel better to do the follow up, even if it is just to hear some reassurance.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ALWAYS make an appointment with the pediatrician. They have a better understanding than an ER doctor who probably had other patients on their mind and didnt give your daughter the attention she needed. Hope she feels better soon. Good Luck
    MommaJanes09

Answer by MommaJanes09 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would. I have heard that pertussis (whooping cough) is going around. Is it possible she caught it?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 10:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• pertussis has a very distinct sound, you can google it. i would go ahead and make an appointment with your ped. just to be safe. i tend to not go to the dr's...in fact, my kids have never been except for kindergarten physicals so far. there is nothing medically that can be done for a virus, and a lot of ear infections are not viral. when my kids get sick i keep them hydrated and comfortable. i have never had a high fever, or a fever with a cough, so i may not have experienced anything like you are right now. i breast feed, and that helps to soothe our little ones when they are sick. i take comfort in knowing that things are progressing. change is good. could your little one be teething? this has a huge impact on some kids.
    good luck mama! iwish your lo good health soon!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would take her to your pediatrician for a follow up appointment.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010