is it okay to name your baby and not want people to use the common nick name (long)

we are naming our baby samantha, everyone hates it and wants to call her sam, its making me mad bc i dont want her called same her name is samantha, i know ppl will but can i nicely say please call her samantha also her middle name is caroline on the cake at the baby shower the spelled it coraline and they want me to change it, i had problems w my sons name as well its leif, and they called him leaf on purpose and leaf blower....and i dnt care if ppl think *leaf* is correct we say layoh and like a lei in hawii so if i tell you its that way dont argu w me, lol i literallhad a figh w a nicu nurse saying i was wrong , and i ddnt care if i was we wanted it pronounced that way so idk am i the only w name problems? or does this happen to everyone

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Baby Names

• You have every right to be upset and have expectations but remember people will do what they want to as well t sucks but that is how it is
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My brother and sister in law are in the same kind of spot. they recently had a baby girl and named her Kimber. they really dont like the name Kim and dont want people calling her Kim. to be respecful, if I am going to call her by a nickname I thought a new one up, that ISNT kim. Because I see where theyre coming from. one of my twins names is Taden, its said liek Tayden, but I like the spelling better Taden. I would punch someone if they tried to aruge its TAD in liek a tadpole XD and called him that lol or if people called him Tad. ( i call him Tade sometimes but NOT tad lol)

i dont think youre in the wrong to ask people to call her samantha.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think if you name your child something that isn't "normal" they are always going to have these issues, but like you said -who cares.. my niece alix will Always have to spell her name because its not typically spelled that way but who cares - so many kids have different names and I think if you start and never stop calling her samantha, others will pick up on that -our neighbor patrick is a Patrick - because that's all we've ever heard his parents and friends call him -period -never pat.. good luck -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My dd's name is Samantha Lynn & everyone does call her Sam but I have never minded it. But if you don't want them to call her Sam then they should respect that as she is your daughter. I won't let anyone call my dd Sammie, I just kindly ask them not to call her that & they ask what she goes by & I tell them they can call her Sam or Samantha but no one calls her Sammie, never have and never will...GL with your baby, they will get the point eventually just hang in there, oh and as far as the middle name just because it was misspelled on the cake does not mean you should change it.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I had the same problems. I named my son Nicholas and everyone was calling him Nick or Nicky before he was born!! It Pissed me off. Everyone was saying i was being a b**** and that Im a control freak. I said "No. his name is Nocholas for a reason!! Thats what I named him and that what he will be called or nobody will see him to call him anything!" That last part was a little over the top but everyone was pissing me off sooo bad i didnt care. Hope it works out for you....it didnt for me. Now everyone calls him Nick anyway and hes almost 9 months old
    MommaJanes09

Answer by MommaJanes09 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• well i know people who prefer to be called their given name (2 elizabeths and a steven) and not nicknames. they just correct you if you try to call them something different. i would say it's gonna be a life-long struggle lol. i named my first son alexander and i just call him alex. his teacher calls him alexander all the time and i asked him which he liked better. he said 'i don't care.... i like them both. they're both my name!' lol i thought that was cute. i have the reverse problem.... my name is beth and people are always trying to make me into an elizabeth. i will tell you that people will find a nickname for any name though, so i would just go for whatever name you like best and be prepared to correct alot of people lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You can call her by her full name, but people will use nicknames. You can call your son Leif (layf), but because of Leif Garrett people will pronounce it leaf. Getting ticked off doesn't really accomplish much, all you can do is correct their pronounciation and keep telling people to use their full names.

Also, did they really expect you to change your daughter's middle name because they misspelled it on the cake? Wow, that's ballsy. Stick to your guns about their names and eventually people will get it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have a great nephew named Johnathan. The whole family knew not to call him John. Now that he is in school he gets called John by every teacher. So guess what? My niece & her husband have "lightened" up over the years, & it just isn't that important anymore. Time changes a lot of things... you'll see.
    Abytome

Answer by Abytome at 10:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you have every right to tell ppl not to call her that..my name is Anna-Lisa and people ALWAYS call me something different...or they ask me what i like to be called..and i say, i like to be called Anna-Lisa..thats my name!!! my mom told me that when i was a baby, her mom (my grandma) always called me Anna, and my mom would get soo mad at her and she owuld tell her to call me by my full name...i guess eventually she did, cuz i never remember her calling me that..may take a while, but it'll happen..its also like my sister, her name is Krista..thats what we call her, but she prefers Kris...but NOONE in my family can call her that..thats not her..lol..it feels weird...i went to school with a johnathon..from grade 1 til grade 9..and in about grade 7, ppl started callim him jon...but i couldnt...cuz that wasnt who he was to me..everyones different..but you have a right to tell them to call her samantha!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I love the name Samantha, and I can completely understand why you feel that way. There are a lot of names that I love, but I don't like the nicknames. I think that if you always call her by her first name, other people will catch on and do it as well.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:21 PM on Sep. 13, 2010