My baby has to see a cardiologist......

For the past month his lips have been turning blue. It's happened 5 times. He breathes normally and acts like his happy self. No other symptoms. So today when he say he's doctor for another unrelated mater I mentioned it and they need their exam and couldn't find anything wrong so he has to go get a heart echo done to make sure nothing is wrong. This scares me half to death. He's only 14 months old and hasn't had a single major thing wrong with him. Has anyone been through this? Or their baby had to go and get a heart echo done? I don't know what I'm going to do if something is wrong. I have a 3 year old at home to take care of and my husbands deployed and my so called support system isn't all that great....

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes I have been through this, except luckily in my case they caught Felipe's problem before he started turning blue, and were able to fix his heart before he ever did turn blue. BUT - if they hadn't known about his heart when he was born, this is exactly what would have happened. There are support groups here on CafeMom for heart moms - most of us have kids that hadheart sugery, but we will still have lots of info for you about what each thing means etc etc. And I just want to tell you that right now you are probably thinking that the worst possible outcome is that they will say your baby has a heart defect. But that is NOT the worst possible thing - Felipe was born with a heart defect and I also thought it was the end of the world when they told me, but he is almost 4 now and he is FINE! I never would have believed that the path we were given would be so easy, but it was. So, know that it is entirely possible for your baby...
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• oh mama I hope everything is OK! I'll be thinking of you
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ...to have a heart defect, and even to need heart surgery, and yet things will still all be OK! It is amazing what modern medicine can do. Felipe had surgery on Monday, smiled at us on Tuesday, and came home on Friday. And today if it weren't for his scar you would never know he was once a heart baby! Hang in there mama - I will be thinking of you!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son turns blue and he has had a EKG and an echo done and x-rays on his heart. They never could find anything wrong with his heart. Also we checked his pulse ox and that was normal too when he turned blue. Right now we have no diagnosis other than they think he just is a rare person with very sensitive skin that changes. They told us right now as long as it isn't in his extremeities anymore (his hands and feet and lips and around his mouth would all turn blue), that he is ok and we just keep an eye on him for now. They have discussed the possibility of him having Raynauds Syndrome which really I don't think there is anything you can do about that. Good luck!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 11:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• He's going to the right Dr and they will find answers!! Good Luck!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have had several heart tests done and there were all fairly simple and painless. He will be alright, just hang in there.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Hang in there. It is better to know than to hide your head in the sand. It probably is not any thing major, but take care of things and find out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010