My baby has to see a cardiologist......

For the past month his lips have been turning blue. It's happened 5 times. He breathes normally and acts like his happy self. No other symptoms. So today when he say he's doctor for another unrelated mater I mentioned it and they need their exam and couldn't find anything wrong so he has to go get a heart echo done to make sure nothing is wrong. This scares me half to death. He's only 14 months old and hasn't had a single major thing wrong with him. Has anyone been through this? Or their baby had to go and get a heart echo done? I don't know what I'm going to do if something is wrong. I have a 3 year old at home to take care of and my husbands deployed and my so called support system isn't all that great....

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sweetie calm down...a Heart Echo is nothing to freak out over, it's an ultrasound of his heart to makes sure there are no murmurs or blockages. All that will happen is they'll have you take his top off and lay him down and they will take a little but of lube put it on his chest and roll the monitor around to get the views they need. I've had it done a few times. In regards to his lips turning blue, it might be that he is not getting enough oxygen into his blood, or that nothing is wrong and you just need to put more clothes on him because he's a cold baby kinda like when you're swimming for too long and the wind starts blowing. It'll be ok, good luck hon, support system here if you need someone to talk to or listen to you
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Gosh, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I hope that everything turns out to be fine with your little one. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My daughter was born with three different heart defects. She was echo'd at birth, then monthly until her surgery @ 6 months old. Annually after that. At her check-up this year her cardio (wonderful woman!) wants her to have an MRI and see how close she is to needing her follow up surgery. Some kids with her exact problem go until college age and don't need surgery, some need it earlier like my dd might.

Basically it is a simple procedure, they just put little sensors on his skin and read his heart rhythms. It is not painful and does not take even a minute to do, normally.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's scary when we don't know when dealing with the unknown. Hopefully, you are a little less stressed after reading the above responses. Just knowing what to expect will sometimes calm your fears. Good luck with everything and try not to worry. I know it's hard not to worry.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010