do you let your toddler roam the house, or do you use a play yard?

I have a friend whose baby is free to roam their whole house with not much attention. He's a second baby.

my twins are my first babies.

at their 1st birthday I realized the difference in our supervision.

so what do you do?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, my son is almost a year, and I let him roam the house, BUT I'm always right next to him. I NEVER leave him in a room unattended, unless it;s his own room and safely in his crib. Accidents can happen way too quickly!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Just recently we've let our son go up and down the stairs say to get something he wants or put things in the laundry room by himself but he turns 3 in Nov.. we don't let him roam the house or the yard for that matter.. We are considered over protective by my family for not letting him play in our backyard without us.. I am glad to be that over protective parent I guess - he will have his freedom, eventually but not at 2-1/2 or 3.. no way
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• We have an almost 1 year old and he is WILD!!!! I attempt to let him freely roam but we have a tile floor because we live on the beach so I have to try to contain him as much as possible!!
    drews.mommy

Answer by drews.mommy at 10:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Roam
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It depends. If I am able to keep an eye on him, I let him roam. If I can not keep a close eye on him as I am cooking or cleaning, I put him in the SuperYard.
    As much I try to 'baby proof' my house, my little man still seems to find things to get into. I just feel better knowing he is not getting into them when I am not able to keep a close eye on him.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• @maxsmom11807 lol who lets their 2/3 year old outside by themselves anyway?! My kids aren't going outside alone until theyre like 10 XD XD (i dont think thats being over protective ;) )
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would not let a toddler roam the house. There are too many things they can get into. I would use a play pen or a play yard.
    jerilyn369

Answer by jerilyn369 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• they are allowed to go wherever they want in the house, but no steps for the baby unless i'm behind her. my house is easy.... you can see most of the downstairs from the kitchen. i just keep the door to the potty closed so she doesn't go in there and 'explore' ..... that would be nasty lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my kids go everywhere. just try to stop them!!! seriously, we are about to bolt the garage door up high so my 2 1/2 yo can't get out. i am sooo glad he can't climb the fence yet! i have to be diligent with the older kids in keeping the garage door and the outdoor gate closed.
    we home birth our babies, and my only special instructions to the midwives were to keep the doors locked! my son was climbing the gates before he could walk. it was actually safer for him to have the gates taken down.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• there was a gate in the hallway till my son was about 2. He got better about staying our of certain rooms without us stalking him, plus he is potty training so we just let him roam the house.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2010