so and so does it too

so my son went back to daycare after 2months of not he is 4 years old. there is a kid there that is almost 6 and still sucks his thumb, my son has never been a thumb sucker and that's all he wants to do now. he says " travis sucks his thumb why can't I?" what do i tell him to get him to not suck his thumb, he looks up to this older kid?

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• put lemon juice on it or something bitter tasting maybe?? not sure. thats what my friends parents did to them to get them to stop biting their nails haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• When my kids used the "so and so does it" line, my response was always. "I'm not raising so and so, I'm raising you."
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• what my mom did was take something i really hate (for me it was jumping down from high places) and asking 'if so and so jumped down out the tree, then why can't you?' and i would say bc i'm scared. so then she would explain to me that i'm a big girl and i can make my own choices. i am not a dummy and know when someone is doing something wrong and i can choose to do the right thing. what i tell my son is that if he wants to act like a bad kid, then i'll treat him like one. he straightens up when i tell him that lol. i would tell you son about making the right choice, blah blah blah. then i would tell him if he wants to act like a baby i'll treat him like a baby and he'll have to wear diapers, eat baby food, etc. they hate it when i say that!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with the pp's. You just simply say "I'm not their mommy, I'm yours, and you are not allowed to do ___. What ___ does is between him and his mommy." You can also say something like "Just because someone is a nice person doesn't mean that they always make the right choices. You need to make your own choices, not just do something because your friend does it..."
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• explanation is key, and I have a 7 yr old thumb sucker...he does it subconsciously, FYI to the ladies that said put lemon....yea he just sucks his finger more....we've turned to spicy hot mustards bc its safe and he can't stand it.....Why is a 6 yr old in daycare in the first place and better yet why is he in with the 4 yr olds? thats just not normal there are so many developmental milestones that are past by this age there is no reason he should still be in that class.....good luck
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my df's ex mil runs a in home daycare so she has 2 5/6 year old, 2 3/4 year olds 2 1/2 year olds and 2 babies. So it's not a structured school like daycare even though it's structured. Does that make any sense?
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Just tell him that he doesn't need to do it even if other kids are and reward him for NOT doing it. It is most likely a phase if he was never a thumb sucker before..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Tell him that he doesnt need to do it like his friend does. Reward him when he doesnt.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• tell him he is a big boy and big boys don;t do that
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You tell him that "Travis' mommy can worry about Travis. " You are just worried about him.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010