Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

my 8th grader has a 504 and still getting Fs. What to do???

He was diagosed with adhd, inattentive type about a year ago and prescribed concerta for it (when he was 12 and my other children, 2 of them middle schoolers are not adhd). Our school isn't really working with the 504. What would you do? Have you encountered this situation? What are my RIGHTS???

Answer Question

Asked by drowninginboys at 10:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 9 (297 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I would contact the principal, if that doesn't work the school board or the superintendent.... that 504 plan is there to protect him and doesn't really seem like it's working


    Answer by skittles1108 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

  • Your rights are to go in there and talk with the principal about getting the teachers to follow the 504. And if they won't go above their heads and hold them accountable.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • I would call a meeting to get things under control. Keep emailing, calling, going in to the school until you see some progress. Good luck!

    Answer by KTMOM at 9:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Have a meeting and keep talking and calling until you get what you want.

    Answer by sstepph at 9:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • Is a 504 like an IEP or ARD? Just trying to clarify what you are asking here.

    Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.