Blanket Use

When can I start giving my son a blanket at night?? He's only 9 months old, so I have no plans to do so yet, but what is the appropriate age to do so?

kathria

Asked by kathria at 11:12 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have used blankets with my children since the day they were born. My children have never shown any need for concern as they've gotten older, so I haven't felt it neccisary to take it away. They both are blanket snugglers and love to have one to sleep with at night. But both of them end up sleeping ontop of their blankets. It's your choice when to start using blankets with your child. If you see that your child would end up wrapping themselves in it then maybe wait. If you see that your child may benefit more from it then add a blanket and test it out. If you're just starting with a blanket, then start one with nap time. Then you can check in on them every so often to see how they're doing with it. If they've pulled it over themselves, or if they've kicked it off, etc. That may help you feel more comfortable to start using one all the time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son had blankets from day one, but we started out swaddling him. We were worried about it going over his face so we then tucked in in to the sides of him. Pretty much what happy go lucky said.
    Joeysmama012709

Answer by Joeysmama012709 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I started giving my son a blanket when he was able to know if it was over his face that he could pull it off
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i wrapped my babies up in blankets from day one. if you are worried about the blanket getting in thier face you can swaddle them or tuck the ends of the blankets under the matress. my 3 month old doesn't like to sleep without his special blanket. i just wrap him up in it and he is fine.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:48 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Yeah, both of my kids had blankets from day one, usually swaddled with a thermal and then a thicker one over the top if it was cold, for starters. Then when they got to old to swaddle just one tucked around them. My babies slept in a bassinet next to my bed for the first 6 months though, so I checked on them regularly! My son is 11 months and my daughter is 2 & 1/2 and they both sleep with about 3 blankets.
    nvywfemomof2

Answer by nvywfemomof2 at 2:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Eh. My two and a half year old has a blanket and NEVER uses it. It's a toy. My son was the same way. I think you can at 12-18 months but I would recommend blanket sleepers until at least 2.5 if your house gets cold at night.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We started giving my 2 year old blankets when he was around 1, but he still won't keep them on at night! Before that, after we stopped swaddling we just dressed him warmly at night - I was too worried about SIDS to let him use a blanket

Answer by missanc at 8:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We took blankets with us to the hospital... Our kids always had them from day one... I can't imagine not giving them a blanket.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• my kids had them from day one.
    AirForceWife412

Answer by AirForceWife412 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My kids have had blankets since about a month old for my son and a week old with my daughter. She has to have her blanky to sleep. She's now almost 6 months and still has to have her blanky.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:36 PM on Sep. 13, 2010