Please only answer if you do homeschool

((thanks)) nothing against anyone else, I just want those who have experience on this one though.
This is my first year hs our kids, and I feel my family is a mix of those who feel it is "ok" and those who think it is kind of insane. I guess this should not bother me but it does.

Thn I have days like today, when learning seemed to go SO nicely, but we met with my Mother in law for something, and the kida are fighting and embarassing me :'/

I mean if they think I am not capable, maybe I'm not,you know?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 11:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in

• I think the beginning is hard because you're new to it but you learn your kids and learns what works. Just have library time and meet with other hm schoolers for the kids to mingle among their peers. Try not to do everything in the house. that's helps out alot.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm homeschooling my 7 y/o and 6 y/o (2nd grade, 1st grade) and this is my 3rd year to homeschool. My family thinks I've overwhelmed myself - yeah, there are days I think the same thing.

Kids fight with their siblings. Period. Homeschooled or not. I don't see how your MIL could think you're incapable of homeschooling just because your kids are fighting...has she said that?
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Whether you homeschool or not, your kids will eventually embarrase you. As far as homeschooling goes, you have to be consistant in what you do. It will be fun at times and other times you will want to pull your hair out. Good luck!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• After several lifetimes of this alternative education system, it all comes out in the wash. I have no idea why you chose to sign your life away in pursuit of your children's future, I also made the choice and five children later, it's worth it. Not only for education, but also for the long term benefits in my relationship with my guys. I've been embarrased by my children at various times, and they're no different than their peers who attend public or private educational facilities. Trust in your decision, enjoy all the moments with yours and your decision will more than bless and benefit everyone of you.
    Robin0406

Answer by Robin0406 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Relax! They are still kids, ya know. My kids do the same thing. Sometimes people have this assumption that HS kids are always well behaved--not sure why. You have made a good decision!!
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've never really understood why people believe that non-parental authority figures will somehow be more effective disciplinarians than parental authority figures. Public school teachers have but one form of behavior-altering currency--grades. Parents have unlimited options in this regard. Besides, how the kids happen to be behaving during non-school hours shouldn't have any bearing on their learning or your teaching abilities.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree, your kids will fight no matter, and they are bound to embarrass you once in a while. I wouldn't worry too much about the family that falls on the "thinks your insane" side, I know a lot of my husband's family thought I was crazy when we pulled out kids out of public school. My MIL's voiced concern was that I was not "qualified" to teach the girls - I have subbed for years and now teach preschool, but I don't have a degree so in her eyes I'm just not good enough. I have to keep reminding myself that my kids are learning - a lot more than in public school - and that we learning about homeschooling together. Work on the things you see as issues and don't worry about what others think, you are doing this for your kids, not them. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:07 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thanks SO much ladies. This is my first year and I just don't know. My MIL hasn't said anything much to ME but did kind of make it known to a friend that the discipline thing and scheduling might be an issue. my DH says unless she brings it up, don't even worry, plus it's not about what others think. I don't know, I need to relax :)
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010