Icing vs. Fondant?

Usually we get the usual Iced cake for bday cakes...
But this year we are wanting a nice 2 tiered cake for dd birthday and it seems they are all made with fondant..
Does it taste alot different? Is there icing under the fondant or something? It just seems like a cake with just batter & fondant would be dry/nasty...

Hope this is not a stupid question.. but ive never had a cake with fondant on it. lol..

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, there is a layer of icing under the fondant. Some people make their own though, instead of using the nasty pre-made stuff - it's make from marshmallows & powdered sugar and tastes a whole lot better than the premade stuff! You typically have to find a small-time baker for mmf though. There are also some people who can make their icing look as smooth as fondant - a caker friend of mine gets asked all the time if she uses fondant - she doesn't, she just gets her icing that smooth. But even if you do get regular fondant, most people will peel it off since there is the icing underneath.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:41 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't like the taste of fondant, and neither does my husband. I like the look of it, but I chose the regular icing for our wedding cake because he liked it, and it turned out looking great!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• You can get fondant in a box at walmart in the party section. you get 4.4 ouches of each color and theres four colors. for my boys birthday party we did a regular iced cake and i put fondant decorationson it and it was a good combination. the fondnat tastes like a sugarier type of icing if that makes sense. you coul dtaste it before you use it too. i suggest buying it before you try and make it though. we made some but then bought it and realized what we had made wasn't quiet right so im glad i bought some to make sure.
    plus the cakes with fondant have to have incing under the fondant anyway to get it to stick
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i don't personally like fondant and usually pick it off. thereis a thin layer of icing underneath, but not much. you could always go to the bakery and see if they'd be willing to give you a sample like they do for the wedding cake tastings
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't think it tastes as good...for our wedding cake we found someone that made us one that looked like fondant but it was actually not...it tasted good and looked good...ok, not as perfect looking as fondant but pretty close ;) She said it was a thicker type of icing, but I can't remember what it was...sorry, I guess I'm not much of a help
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• love the way fondant looks but not the taste
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I did some of my 2nd DD's cake in fondant one year when she had a sunshine party (I made the rays of the sun out of yellow fondant). I thought it tasted really gross. There's supposedly a recipe for marshmallow fondant that tastes better than the pre-packaged stuff - but ultimately, it isn't as good as buttercream, IMO. If a cake has fondant on it, it usually has a thin layer of buttercream on it before the fondant.
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 11:35 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Fondant is very nice looking on a cake, but my family does not like the taste. I can't describe it. Its wasn't dry. It was soft and a little chewy. I do not know if that how the texture is suppose to be but that is what this was like. The cake itself was delicious. Good Luck!
    Beepsch

Answer by Beepsch at 11:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Fondant is gross. You can get a nice mostly smooth, slightly textured look with icing. Just tell them thats what you want. Its really just not worth the money to get the fondant when everyone throws it away anyhow. I mean its largely sugar and constarch. yuck. Save a penny, skip the fondant!

GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 11:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• thanks ladies.. look like we are clearly not going to use fondant!! We want a cool cake, but NOT at the cost of a yummy cake! :) Ill make sure the Local baker we use can do regular buttercream
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010