How much bottle is too much bottle??

So today for breakfast, my 21month ds ate 1scrambled egg a slice of toast n orange juice, lunch about a cup full of mac n cheese,dinner spaghetti n toast & salad but keeps asking for his bottle, he has had about 6-7 bottles of milk, i dnt get why he just wants milk, i mean i do feed him n make sure he eats, he is in the 97 percentile so is this normal, he weights 28lbs i dnt think he is big but is this normal for him to drink all that milk even though he eats?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 21 months and I have been told that at that age and age 2 that babies should drink 24 oz each day. My son is 31 lbs so about the same as yours. He also rates in the high percentiles. You need to give sippy cups throughout the day with water only. Water is the best thing for your baby after the 24 oz recommendation has been met. The bottles should be kept to bedtime and middle of the night feedings at this point. My son is getting speech therapy and they recommend to not use the bottle as much as possible because the "sucking" action softens the pallet and can cause and/or increase speech problems. Also to try to get your child to use a straw. (My son is still on sippy cups without the straw but we are trying) Lastly, they say to limit pacifiers to only bedtime for the same reasons. I hope this helps!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my 13 month old drinks alot of milk too and he still eats....have you tried giving him other things to drink too? he may just be really thirsty
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• imo he's too big for a bottle anyway, but he should be drinking water with his meals for the most part (only 1 sippy of juice and 1 sippy of milk if you want). what is his height? is it also in the 97th percentile? because if his height is just average he's overweight
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• how many ounces are in each bottle? i would limit the amount of milk he takes in. at his age, he should only be having 2 cups of whole milk a day. and he should not have a bottle anymore. the bottle is probably comforting to him, and so he drinks way more than he should. not to mention the other reasons bottles shouldn't be used at this age: tooth decay, jaw development, lack of nutrition due to too much milk, increased risk of ear infections, etc.. have you tried switching to a sippy cup?

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• the 2 cups a day guideline comes from wic.
    kyriesmommy13

• i was giving him 8oz then switched to 5-6oz, i have been trying to get him off the bottle, threw them out of the home n hubby went n bought new ones.
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A two year old should not be having bottles still. Give him a cup. 16 - 24 oz of milk total a day is what a toddler should be having.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree. Def time to cup train. GL
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• try giving your child a sippy cup instead of a bottle.
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010