How can I improve my breast milk production?

I will try anything.

AshlyN.

Asked by AshlyN. at 11:53 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of good ideas here...but NOT ONE will do a thing if you don't nurse on demand, no matter how long and no matter how often. Can you be more sepcific about what you're trying to accomplish? Pump output? Normal is .5 -2 ounces total. Longer stretches between nursings? That ONLY comes with time, nothing else.

Count dipes. If you're changing 6-8 daily supply is already perfect and all the galactagogues won't do much.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• First, what makes you think your supply needs improvement?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Why do you think you have a supply problem? The BEST way to increase production is to nurse, on demand, as often as baby wants. If you have something specific going on, let us know and we can try to address it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• drink lots of water, avoid anything with peppermint in it, have a few cups of mother's milk tea each day, make sure you are still taking your vitamins, get some fenugreek and take it a few times a day. also, make sure to let your little on nurse as much as possible (or pump a lot if you are at work). best of luck!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• drink lots of water, avoid anything with peppermint in it, have a few cups of mother's milk tea each day, make sure you are still taking your vitamins, get some fenugreek and take it a few times a day. also, make sure to let your little on nurse as much as possible (or pump a lot if you are at work). best of luck! posted by MommyH2

THIS!!!^^ also, try eating oatmeal daily (steel cut are best). that really helps me. and, nurse as much as possible. you may want to consider heading over to the breastfeeding moms group for support.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nurse one side while pumping the other, then switch. And feed more often. It's a supply and demand issue.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was working full time and pumping and it was really hard to keep up. I talked to my doctor and he gave me a script for reglan or metoclopramide. It worked wonders. I mean it like doubled what I was getting a day, in less than a week! It did have the side effect of making me a little more tired. Not that you need that!! But once you increase your supply, as long as you are getting drained it should continue and you can stop taking them?!
    nvywfemomof2

Answer by nvywfemomof2 at 2:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Drink stout beer.... works wonders.... just don't drink too much of it!
    Doreen633

Answer by Doreen633 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• feed more often and take nutritious food
    A11

Answer by A11 at 4:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• the best way to increase milk production is to nurse as much as you can. letting your little one breastfeed alerts your body that it needs to make more milk. also when you nurse, have a cup of water for yourself nearby. plenty of rest will also help as stress, for some reason, affects milk production. hope this helps!
    Ijssel

Answer by Ijssel at 6:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2010