Another potty training question (Oh no!)

DH and I are stuck. He wants to ease her into it instead of just putting her in regular undies (except at night). I don't want to confuse her by going back and forth.

I absolutely REFUSE to buy pull-ups, or the like, because they're expensive and I don't think it lets them recognize the feeling of being wet and relating to the feeling of peeing and therefore the feeling before they pee/poop, not to mention the fact that they are really just big diapers. But he wants them just to avoid mess (in my opinion that just = lazy).

We bought the more expensive thicker "training" undies as kind of a happy medium. But I'm just wondering if you girls have any ideas about 'easing' her into using the potty. I'm willing to go the rout of just letting her run around naked-ish at home and put her on it when she starts to go as well as every 30 min. But just for him I'd like maybe a few other ideas for a happy medium.

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 11:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i told her a few months ago, no more diapers :) i let her run around naked and pottied her every 30-60 minutes, or when she showed signs of having to go. it was amazing how quickly she caught on and i wished i would have started this sooner. she wears panties now and rarely has accidents (she had a few recently when she was sick). after about a month, she started waking up dry. we haven't used diapers for nighttime or naps for almost a month. she just recently turned 26 months old.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ok....since its been an hour and only one response, can I at least ask for bumps or stories that maybe reinforce my tactic? or maybe even go against it?
    Deathlilly

Comment by Deathlilly (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My daughter didn't like to just go and sit on the potty, I tried singing songs and reading books and she was bored! So (I work full time)over the weekend I just let her run around naked and when she would start to pee, it would surprise her, the feeling and then we would run to the potty and finish. I had her try even though she said she didn't when I could get here to, everyone says you don't want to do anything to associate the potty with a negative experience. She got it and was peeing and pooping in the potty all day sunday and in the evenings over the next week, but then when I put panties on her, she just peed and pooped like they were diapers! So now we are trying to make that transition. she is about half and half right now. Half the time she pees in her panties and half the time she goes in the potty. Also I put the potty in the living room for now, it is the room we spend the most time and she is comfortable!
    nvywfemomof2

Answer by nvywfemomof2 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had trouble potty training my daughter too, she just wouldnt have it, so we asked her doc if we should be concerned that she would learn late, he told us to leave her be and she would potty train herself when she was rdy. We left her alone, we stopped pushing and forcing her to use the potty and less than a month later she was potty broke all by herself.
    stormy01

Answer by stormy01 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• How old is your child? Is SHE showing any signs of being interested in being trained?
    OwensMommy77

Answer by OwensMommy77 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes she's showing signs. She's ready, just doesn't know the feeling yet. She doesn't want to wear diapers, she wants to sit on the toilet, she tells us when/after she goes (even in diapers), etc. etc.

She seems to be having that problem too nvywfemomof2; she seems to treat undies as diapers :\
    Deathlilly

Comment by Deathlilly (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010