My son just turned 13 years old. He got a lot of money & doesn't think he should have to spend it on the new video game he wants. He actually would still have a good $60.00 plus left over. I don't have the money right now to spend on things other than bills, food etc. How can I get him to understand I'm not being mean, I'm just broke??

Abytome

Asked by Abytome at 11:56 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Where did he get this money? I would not buy the game for him! If he doesn't buy it for himself to bad!
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• so he wants you to buy the game because he dnt want to spend his money? sorry didt understand the question.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well tell him that's why he got the money was to spend it on what he wants he should be old enough to understand that mom can't always buy him what he wants and if he wants to throw a fit about it, don't take him to get the game with his money either until he can learn to respect you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If he doesn't want the game bad enough to spend his own money on it, it must not be very important.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• what does he think he should be spending his birthday money on then? Is that not what stuff like that is for? Sounds like he is pretty spoiled and you need to start holding him accountable for the luxuries in his life. When I was 13, I got my first job and paid for everything I wanted other than food/shelter/SOME clothing. Even if you DID have the money you shouldn't buy a video game so he can blow his own money elsewhere? Teach him to budget and prioritize. If he can't afford a video game due to another want, then oh well. Thats life...do some chores/get a job/save your money and buy the second item you had to go without.
    Its not mean, it is teaching him responsibility.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• This is an opportunity for a life lesson. Most people only have a certain amount of money to spend on a certain amount on needs/wants; it's basic economics. Apparently, he's got some money and now he needs to figure out for himself what he's going to do with it.

If you had the $$$, would you actually buy him the game? At 13, my son was working and doing chores and buying his own things (wants) and I was of course providing his needs (food/shelter/medicine ...).
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He needs a rude awakening. Make him put half his money into a savings account and then he can spend the rest on anything he wants including that video game. Stick to your guns and don't buy it for him since your finances are tight. At 13 - he'll get over it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You could always buy him the game.... but make him give you money for his clothes/food/bills. Managing one's own money against one's wants has to start sometime. Sounds like his some time is now.

Though I do have to say I am impressed he at least values his money. That's definitely a step in the right direction.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He got this birthday money to buy what he wants, correct? Tell him if he wants the game that is what that money is for!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He got money for his birthday so if he wants that game then he should use HIS BDAY money to get it. not you.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010