Can you make clam chowder with scallops?

I want to try a user's clam chowder recipe but I can never find clams (I live in Michigan). I look in the seafood department and there aren't any...not even frozen. Is it silly to think I can substitute the clams with scallops?

carol2m2

Asked by carol2m2 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• scallops are different then clams. I'm sure you could make soup w/ it in the same way you would make clam chowder but it would be different. Scallops are good but they are a lot different then clams in flavor and texture.
    blue_apalt

Answer by blue_apalt at 12:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, it's call Scallop Chowder! I make Salmon and Halibut chowder too sometimes. Or a combination and call it Seafood Chowder! Yummers!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• look in the canned fish section of your grocery store. Most of them carry the canned clams by the tuna fish.
    LOOneyPLR

Answer by LOOneyPLR at 12:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I buy canned baby clams. You can make chowder with scallops but that's more like a sea food chowder. Honestly, there isn't much difference as far as how it's prepared. I've made both. I LOVE chowder. Now I want to make some.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 6:06 AM on Sep. 14, 2010