My mother thinks I steal her things.. she is starting to hate me

My mother has always, always thought someone is stealing her. Her belongings go missing all the time.. She used to accuse my father, saying he steals her clothes for his 'secrete girl friend' or takes her possesions and gives them away.. And now that Im old enough shes started to accuse me. Saying that "it may or may not be you stealing, OBVIOUSLY I dont know whos taking my $#!%"

I don't know what to do... I can't afford to live anywhere else.. It honestly breaks my heart that she thinks so low of me.. I've never stolen anything, ever. Never lied to my mother, and I try every day to help her with everything! Im always the one who helps her when she needs help.

What can I do? What can I say?? We just got in a huge blow up and now arent speaking to eachother. This happens like three times a year..she just gets fed up and blows up on us. A weeks worth of ignoring us, then gradually back to normal..

Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Sounds like my Granny. She was crackers. She'd been accusing my dad of stealing my Grandad's stuff for a while then my Grandad died and she really started the accusations. My mom cut ties with her and her sister and we never spoke to them again.

You need to find a way to find your own place to live. Rent a room somewhere cheap. Before she calls the police and has you arrested for something you didn't do.

If she thinks you're stealing from her I highly doubt she'll take advice and go to the doctor..she'll think you're in cahoots with them too..... Cut your losses and MOVE.
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 4:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• sounds like a form of mental illness. Paranoia is a symptom of several different types of mental illnesses. If you know it's not happening, just back off and let her sort it out. Tell her you are sorry she feels that way. You can't argue with that!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Could she be paranoid? Maybe on some medications that make her that way? My Friends mom had Alzheimers and thought everyone was stealing things from her cause she could never remember where she put things. She would get really angry and yell at people.
    bunnywzrd

Answer by bunnywzrd at 12:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• she probably just has some personal unresolved issues of her own.
    my mom kinda gets pissy about not helping her clean, and even though cleaning and stealing are two very different things, moms getting mad for certain reasons is one category. i love my mom but when she blows up on me, i have learned to just ignore it, but pretend to go with it.
    it hurts when they seem to not love you, and probably leaves you feeling like your heart gets ripped out every time. unfortunately there are only a few ways to deal with it, one of them moving, which you cant. but maybe tell her your feelings although she may just mock them an pretend not to care. my mom has done that alot. other than that just learn to ignore it.
    sorry for not being able to lend a shoulder.
    good luck to you.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Has she been checked for Bi Polar Disorder? Because it sounds like that is what she may have or other form of mental disorder. You won't be able to talk to her unless she acknowledges that she has a problem first.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 12:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• sounds like a form of schitzophrenia or mab bipolar?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• she needs help n im not trying to be mean , that just doesnt sound normal.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• awww, why does she think that people steal from her? Are these things only in her bedroom? If so, tell her to get a lock for her door. Does she have a memory problem? Explain to her calmly that you would never do that to her & she should trust her FAMILY. Without trust you have nothing. I wish I could help more. HUGS to you!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She needs to be tested. Maybe she needs professional help and medication.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• wow mamma needs some help hun
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 3:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010