Elliptical machine?

do you have one or use one or ever have? i have been thinking about getting one.. i need to get into shape and loose about 5-10 lbs and i have been reading that these could help do it... i do have a tredmill but it hurts my joints when i use it a lot... so i was looking for something that wouldnt strain them as much but still work good... i want to loose a little weight that is my big goal... is this the right option

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 12:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i use a recumbant bike it is NO impact and I can do killer cardio for an hour at a time i dropped 25 pounds through diet and exercise in 3 months
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i tried those at the gym a while back and i think it feels weird, like my legs couldnt move freely enough. but thats just me. id say get a one day free pass from a gym and try out the eliptical machines, then you can see how they feel for you.
    americanadian25

Answer by americanadian25 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Try it out first. Most people either really like them or really dislike them. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I warm up on it at the gym i liek it better than a tredmill
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When I go to the Y, I usually try to get 45 minutes in on the elliptical. Then I walk for another 30-40 minutes. It's a good workout once you get used to it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I love the eliptical machine. I liked it much better than the treadmill. Much better workout as you are moving your arms and legs. But I think it puts lots more pressure on the joints than the treadmill. You should really try one out before buying since they are not cheap plus, you don't want it sitting in your house unused because you found out you didn't like it.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 7:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ellipticals are great and take away the pounding on the joints of the treadmill, but i know when i had back probs the elliptical was no better - recumbent may be a better option
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 7:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I love my elliptical machine but you definitely want to try a few before you buy because there are different feels and it is not a machine that you can go cheap on.
    kristi95

Answer by kristi95 at 7:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I adore my machine! Helped me loose 18lbs. You need to do some weight training as well. Cardio and building muscle burn fat and calories. I am on my last 10 lbs so we will see how it goes.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have one and love it. I would recommend getting one.
    Saucy1

Answer by Saucy1 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2010