How can I get my son away from pullups so he can start wearing underware? he is 3 is that still ok if he is still in pullups

Jessie8706

Asked by Jessie8706 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just don't use them. If he has an accident its not the end of the world. I always carry extra clothes when we are out with a plastic bag just in case and I ask if he needs to go potty and I take make him try before we leave somewhere.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• if you want him in underwear, best idea is just put him in underwear. if he has an accident, he'll quickly learn he doesn't like his pants being wet, he doesnt like having to change (have him change himself, to the best of his ability, that makes kids no want to go through the whole changing thing) he should learn quickly its easier to use the toilet than to go in his pants.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• but its like he doesnt notice when he does do it in underware and that makes it hard he goes on the potty but he wants a pullup instead
    Jessie8706

Comment by Jessie8706 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• take them away..I mean you put them on him...My son was hard to train and the oldest so at 3 I just basically took them away.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Put regular underwear on him during the day and pull-up at night. unless you want to continue buying pull-ups for both day and night use.
    phoenix231

Answer by phoenix231 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Once I stopped using the pull ups my little one was so easy to potty train. So my advice is just stop using them. Put him only in underware and take him to potty every 30 minutes to a hour. It worked for me it may work for you. Good Luck!
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thank you all , but please keep posting ideas in case one doesnt work i can try another... lol
    Jessie8706

Comment by Jessie8706 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You are saying your son is basically potty trained, but wont wear underwear? I did the same as others suggested....when I decided it was time, I got rid of the pull ups and there was no choice anymore. Did you try taking him to pick out his own big boy underwear?
    I also think, if hes not really going in the pull ups, is using the potty, but just wants the comfort of the pull ups, why not let him just wear them? I promise you he wont actually want them by the time he is in school! :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When my son was just starting with potty training we did use diapers at night, but then started with underwear once he was consistently waking up dry.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with the others. Put him in underwear. It may take a few days, but he will quickly decide that it is uncomfortable to have accidents. If he's already staying dry at night, I would put him in underwear overnight, too.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010