Do you tell your children that they have to go to...

college? When did/or will you start talking to them about college. What do you think you need to do to raise a child who will go to college?

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 12:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, some kids just are not ready for college right out of highschool. I think my kids are actually looking at a career in the Military to start.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, no. But when they are older we will strongly encourage it.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you can talk to them about it, and hope they say they want to, but you can't tell them what they have to do after they get out of highschool. 

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no its their choice not mine
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i would first bring it up while in Jr High. The really don't know to much about it in grade school. You can only talk about it with them, but its really in their own minds if they want to go. That is what i did and basically let them decide if they were going. Some kids are not college material. I have 2 kids that really did not want to go. 1 did and never returned after the first year. I have my youngest that really wants to go and in time she will. My parents told me that if it is a forced issue, they may never go.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My kids aren't old enough for this discussion, but I've already decided that it is their choice. I will tell them how much I enjoyed it, how helpful it can be, etc but I will never ever pressure them. My parents pressured me, and as a result I ended up dropping out after just 2 terms. I simply was not mature enough right after high school graduation and I had a lot of "world exploring" to get out of my system. And I'll tell you what, I learned more in those 6 years of "real world education" than being forced through 4 years of college could have ever taught me! Fast forward to last year and suddenly I decided I was ready for school. I went back without even telling my parents, because I was doing it for me, not them. It felt amazing when I told them I had already been back in school for over a year and they had no idea. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes I have been telling my daughter about college since she was 2 years old. She always wanted to go to school. So we would talk about when she got to be a BIG GIRL she would go to Kindergarten, then 1-12th then College and Grad school. We now talk about college with our 2 1/2 year old  son. 

35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 1:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes. I did not go, and I am teaching my daughters what I am missing because I didn't go. On the other hand there dad did go, so they see the difference. Not that my life is horrible, but I want them to understand that there daddy has much better opportunities than I do.
    Carol936

Answer by Carol936 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have always talked about college. Whether they go or not is ultimately their choice. Give the career aspirations of my older, middle school kids, college will be part of their futures. My youngest is only in kindergarten, so his plans are way in the future.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No. They have three choices: college, military or full time job. I prefer military, it'll pay for their college, they get to get away for a few years and they get job experience.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010