Yoga?

I am looking to gain some strength and lose about 15 lbs. Partic. in my stomach and arms. I have heard yoga works wonders... do any of you mamas do yoga? Any comments about it? Does it work??

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yoga can do extreme wonders!! I used to follow the Namaste Yoga program on FitTV when we had DirecTV but now I go to the local Y two days a week for yoga and two different days for Zumba and one for water aerobics.

The best results will come out of A)sticking to the routine and in order to that it depends on B) what makes you feel the most comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable doing it in front of someone else, work out in the privacy of home. If you will feel motivated by working around others, by all means join a class. Some women thrive on the companionship or get a friend to join the class with them and that is even more beneficial .
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes it works. Strengthens muscles and you will become more toned over time, therefore you may lose a little weight
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes, yoga is a good choice! As you tone up, you will burn more fat and have more energy...thereby you'll burn even more fat with that extra energy. :) There are different kinds of yoga, too, that incorporate more strength-building moves.

I once had a personal training consultation in which the trainer that yoga can't strengthen your muscles, it "just makes you limber". I don't know what kind of yoga he was doing, but needless to say, I did not book any sessions with him!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with soccerfanatic. I use it 3 times a week and its great!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• oops, "in which the trainer *said* that..." sorry, missed a word :)
    aliceryannesmom

• thanks ladies!! which would be better.. my own at home stuff (videos, etc...) or going to a trainer?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 3:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes Yoga works. I love it. We have the Wii and I have Yoga on that. There are some great videos out too. I would look on Amazon they have the best rates and reviews
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 5:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes it's great, but it takes deep poses held for a very long time to strengthen and tone. If you stick with it you'll see results but you have to have patience.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 9:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You have to do Yoga daily to look like the yoga teachers. I would also throw in a walk two or thee times a week.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yoga does tone but it takes longer to see results. If your wanting to lose 15 pounds then I would add some cardio in. I love yoga and have been doing it for awhile but it didn't help with weight loss for me.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 1:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010