Can't kids play in apartment complex?

The other night my daughter 8 and her 2 guy friends 10 were playing ,running around,carrying on,laughing ,screaming,around the apartment complex and a neighbor man said,you shouldn't be doing that,that you are too old!Thankfully they play in some grassy area away from people and in the car ports,but even when they were doing that,the man said they couldn't.Our apartment only said that kids couldn't ride bikes in the complex.Who's right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i say as long as its daytime, they arent messing with cars or running in and out let them play!! its what kids do, you are never to old to run around scream and carry on like KIDS!!!!
    heartsandskulls

Answer by heartsandskulls at 1:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Playing outside, running around, laughing ... that's all good

Screaming? No. They need to be taught to respect the right of other people to have some reasonable level of noise in what is a "shared" space. The screaming should be stopped.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The only issue I can see is with the screaming depending on what it sounded like. I live in a co-op complex and am constantly on edge from the kids who for some reason scream like they are being murdered bringing me racing onto my balcony to see what the problem is and who needs help....only to find they are bein dumb.... It worries me that someday someone will need help out there and nobody will respond the way we SHOULD because we think it's them bein dumb again....

The bloodcurdling I can do without! The rest, have at it kids!!!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If it is within reasonable hours (like 8AM - 9PM) and your children aren't being destructive or totally crazy, I would tell that man to mind his own business and leave you and your kids alone.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I honestly cannot find one reason why kids shouldn't be able to play outside at an apartment complex. That seems silly. If your rental agreement doesn't state any such rules and they weren't making excess noise during quiet hours, I don't see the problem.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Wha?? Tell him to go fly a kite.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i dont see why they cant play. the guy just doesnt like it, but it's an apartment, you have to expect things like that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You need to ask your landlord.

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 9:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• ITA w/Allergic2Stupid. The man has NO right to tell your kids to stop playing. If it was getting on to be late I could see it, but unless the man works third shift or something and has to sleep during the day then it shouldn't be a problem.

I also think the screaming needs to be addressed, though. "Yee haw!" while playing cowboys is one thing. So is "Im gonna get you, sucker!" during cops and robbers. "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" while playing tag is NOT acceptable, even away from an apartment complex IMHO. Kids need to know that they should only scream if there is a true emergency like a stranger tries to get them to go somewhere.

My kids used to scream for the fun of it, too. Until they learned that it would lead to coming in the house and helping with chores, quietly.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Tell him to mind his business... how is someone gonna say kids can't play outside? As long as they aren't messing with anyone's property I see no harm.. I'd much rather them be outside playing then in the apartment...(running and playing like that).. would look in your lease or w.e. and see the guidelines for stuff like that.. if u are within them, complain to ur managers he is harrassing u
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010