How much will you spend per child this holiday season in gifts

After seeing the question on the additional stimulus checks, I'm curious. How much do you feel you need to spend per kid over the holiday season. What will you be spending your money on. Would the holidays be less satisfying were you to not spend this money?

Kestrel1

Asked by Kestrel1 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• We will be spending around $100 on our 6 month old. We plan on getting him one big toy that will grow with him, a couple of little ones, and maybe some clothes. No, I don't feel like it would be less satisfying without everything.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 7:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am spending as little as possible. Honestly, I wish I never started the Santa/Christmas presents thing. Although I am not Christian I have to agree that love is the reason for the season and all the seasons, and having it so commercialized is not what I want to teach my kids. I will be slowly getting rid of lots of toys for Christmas and teach my kids the reason for the season is the many religious holidays that surround the winter season. OK I rambled, sorry. No the holidays would be more satisfying with the less we buy, and the more we do for others.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 7:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• we have bdays and xmas with in 2 wks from each other (dec 21 xmas jan2 then jan 15) we want to spend 200 a piece (bday and xmas combined) we are getting clothes for all 3 but for toys not sure on the boys yet thinking maybe a used laptop for my oldest and more trains for my middle child, not 1005 sure yet. but we want to get this kitchen set for my DD, being its something she can use for a few years. we have a small one now just a fridge, stove and microwave ( its only 2 ft high) that she loves to open doors on and put stuff in and out of it.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• and no i dont think how much is spent make the holiday any better, we focus on the family part of it, thats the only time my family can get together all at once im excited for this year being we got bunch of new babies in the family . and also focus in the relgious part of it. we just want to a little extra this year being we couldnt spend alot last year and we love to spoil our kids they are only young once
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 8:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• err i ment 100% not 1005 lol oops
    bonnie-jo

• Last year we got spent just over $50 on my daughter for christmas, around 18 months at the time. My husband had lost his job though, and aflac wasn't paying what they should and his unemployment was even enough to pay the bills. And one of my co-workers made me out a check one day and gave it to me when i was leaving work, and said it's not much, but buy your daughter some christmas gifts, and don't use it on bills. The bills can wait. So we hit all the clearance sections and sale items and got her about 8 or 9 gifts, and i made some cute homemade things as well. But otherwise i think we'll probably spend about $75 dollars, she doesn't need a lot and we're big on bargain shopping.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• FinleyFirst your post made me cry :( It's one thing to not want to spend much, it's quite another not to be able to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2008