my husband lies about everything, why?

he lies to people about things hes done and said. i always call him on it after and he just says "who cares, they dont know me" well sometimes its to his family and friends. i tell him its cause hes insecure and thinks he has to make himself look better, but it also makes me wonder about the stories he tells me. i mean he lies about the stupidest liitle things. how should i deal with it.

hotmama541

Asked by hotmama541 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• thats a good one im interested in seeing some of the answers you get my hubby the same way, and bout the stupidest stuff exp i say oh you had the last pop an he no i didnt...im like what then who did? might add that the can is right next to him .what im afraid of if he lies about the small things how do i know he's not lying about the big stuff....i call my DH on stuff too and he says so who cares
    i know how frustrating it can be
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I divorced a man like that. He even went so far as to lie on the witness stand in order to get custody of the kids! (It backfired. He lied about how much he made, and the judge stuck him with child support accordingly, lol.) So if you get an answer to this, I definitely want to read it.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Exaggerating stories is mostly harmless. I would let him go if its not causing any harm... Lying is one thing, but this sounds like he is just a storyteller to me... My husband does this too... I let him go. I know he doesn't lie to me.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It isn't something you should deal with. It's what he's dealing with, yes it affects you, but it's an issue he's having, let him have it. Sounds like you've done your best, you've voiced your opinion and made it known. The fact he lets you know him and doesn't let others is also a protective thing, not just insecure. If he chooses to do so in an arena in which it isn't appropriate, an extreme exaggeration, I would think he would choose not to tell tales, from what your saying he is being harmless. He will remain harmless if it's been going on long time, just dabbling in different life for a moment still wanting and needing and loving his with you. Let him talk...
    notjustamom380

Answer by notjustamom380 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i usually dont say anything but he did tell me these same stupid stories when we first met and then i found out they werent true so i just wonder if he lies to me about things also. of course i talk to him and he says he doesn't but when u know someone is a liar to others it makws you question them with you/.
    Anonymous

• I grew up with parents who freaked out at the tiniest thing. So I learned to lie at an early age and have been doing it ever since, unfortunately. But it's usually just to avoid hurting other people's feelings. But my bf notices that I do it more than the average person. It's cuz I'm paranoid!
    Anonymous

• My ex told me he was a government CIA hitman. My brother is a 2nd degree blackbelt in Tae Kwan Do, yet my ex would not spar with him "because I don't want to hurt him." When we were getting back together after the last separation before the final one, he told me that his ex slept with his father and that his oldest son was really his half brother. Harmless lies? I don't think so. These weren't just tales. He actually expected me to believe all this! Once trust is gone like in this situation, it's time to move on. Get someone who will be honest with you.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• How funny! I have a brother like that. His wife should have known what he was going to be like...he told her he had a twin brother, which is not true. I try not to even talk to him anymore because almost everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie. I actually feel really sorry for him, I just don't want my kids to really listen to him because he says some crazy things like he "knows for a fact that you don't have to stop at a STOP sign, you just have to do it out of courtesy"--whatever that means!! I don't want my kids thinking they can run stop signs. It kinda seems as if he has my sister-in-law somewhat brain-washed or something. Who would believe such stupid lies?
    Anonymous

• wow my husband does the same thing it is so stupid and as soon as he says something i know it is a lie. he comes home and tells me something that happened at work he paints cars fro a living so nothing real exciting but he'll say and you know what i told them oh here comes a lie
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2008