Can I encourage my dd to stay dry at night?

My dd is pottytrained during the day now. When she goes to sleep I still put a diaper on for saftey. Is there any way I can help her to stay dry through out the night?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not really. You can give lots of praise and encouragement when it happens to reiforce the behavior but for the most part its completely out of her control. Its really not something they can control up unti lthat point the suddenly can. Yeah, thats vague, I know. Just make sure there is plenty of lighting for her if she does wake up and need to go in the night and other than that just be patient. Its something she'll develope soon enough. Just before my daughter got the hang of it we had a really bad period where she was wetting the bed 3 times a night. I do think its important to take the diaper away. By putting them in the position to be uncomfortable they will wake up and call you and it makes them more aware of the consequence of the action. Its a pain in the butt for you but it helps them to understand what is happening otherwise most kids are so used to the diaper they sleep right through it. Its a learning thing.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Limit liquids at night... I noticed with my older son that he was peeing the moment he woke up because the diaper was warm. Once we discovered that, I just had to talk to him and encourage that he wait to pee.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Go cold turkey on the diaper thing. Day and night.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When a child will be dry at night varies widely. My brothers and I were 10 or so when we got there. My grandaughter was 7. Limiting liquids helps but they all do it in their own time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We did diapers for a short time and then I did training pants and just had a liner on the bed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• night time training can take longer, just be patient.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Limit Fluids 2 hours prior to bedtime and make sure she goes potty before bed.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• All you can do is limit her liquids before bed and make sure she goes potty before bed. The cues from the body to "wake up" when sleeping to go pee takes a lot longer than potty training itself. In the mean time, get a bed liner for accidents and stock up on laundry detergent =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 12:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sometimes their bladders are just too small to hold it all night. My dd is 4-1/2 and she stays dry IF I wake her up once at around 11/11:30 p.m. (she goes to bed at 8 p.m.)
    MamaDee2003

Answer by MamaDee2003 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son just started staying dry... Maybe put her in cloth training pants. That way she won't see it as a diaper, but you won't have to worry about her bed getting soaked if she has an accident.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 5:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010