Tomorrow my little man has his first day of preschool. I just know I will ball no matter how hard I try not to. Is there anyway to make this whole process easier? What if he doesn't want to go? Does that mean he is not ready? Should I let him stay home with me another year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DON'T SHOW YOUR EMOTION IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILD!!!! He might be nervous but that is good. It means he is aware the fact that other people will notice him. Its self-awareness and its an excellent social and psychological development. He needs to develope his own confidence and you HAVE TO LET HIM. The social interaction with other children will be exceptionally good for his development. Mom, you can't hamper him because of your emotional state. Show him how excited you are about him meeting new friends, finding new toys, learning new games and songs. Tell him to go play and don't show any thought of him not wanting to go. If he does hesitate do not encourage it. Its completely unfair of you if you do.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you think he is ready then put him in preschool. If nt, then don't but don't base your decision on what your emotions can handle. Do what is right for ds.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Dont be emotional in front of him, it will only make it harder for him. Just try super hard not to cry, wait til you get back in the car. Walk in with him and make it seem fun & exciting. NO MATTER how you both feel!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The parents attitude and confidence has everything to do with how a child will react, IMO. If you show that you are nervous and upset, your child will feed off of that. Keep it together and be confident and encouraging and he will be just fine!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He will take his cues from you. If you a bawling and making a huge emotional deal out of this, he will too.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• cry when he is out of sight!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have to agree with the other posters...he's going to zero in on what YOU are feeling. Stay positive and upbeat, make a big deal out of how much fun he's going to have. When you're little man is finally at pre-school, THEN you can have a really good cry :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 12:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Stay positive. You will probably find that he will run in and be happy to be there. THis is good for both of you!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would put him in preschool because he needs the time to get used to not being around you especially if he will start kinder next aug. I put my daughter in preschool because she always been clingy with mommy but im getting her used to school because next year it wont be so bad in kinder.
    lindautz727

Answer by lindautz727 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with the previous repsonders here...he will be fine, and so will YOU momma!!
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 4:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010