Do Buddhists worship Buddha?

I have seen in a few places the last few days that people have put Buddha in lists with gods, however that is a misconception, Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) is not a god and he is not worshiped within Buddhism.

Paix

Asked by Paix at 3:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You're right. I was going to type no to this answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thats correct, he was a man they revere, but not worship
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've been told they worship him, but in my family we have and always will worship THE God, the risen Saviour, Jesus Christ.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope, he was a man, just like any other.
    He is the only original buddha. Buddha means 'enlightened one', and since his discovery, he and his teaching have helped many others to enlightenment, but he is the original, the one who found it out on his own.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you study all the different sects of Buddhism, you will find that some certainly do worship him. Especially Buddhists in India, Laos & Thailand. Culturally, India has been "worshiping" deities for a long time. The Buddhists there are just used to it. It's in their culture. They bathe Buddha statues in milk, cover him with flowers, pray to his statues. If you visit Japan where Zen Buddhism is popular, you will not see this at all. Most people don't know that there are SO MANY different sects in Buddhism, just like there is in Christianity.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Most don't. He's merely "the" Buddha, and we can all attain enlightenment, or "Buddhahood", if I remember correctly from my reading....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Very few sects of Buddhists worship him as a God. Most simply revere him as a great teacher and wise man who had reached enlightenment. They thank him for his wisdom and guidance(from his written words) as they too strive to reach enlightenment.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I believe it's called Bodhisattva when you reach enlightenment. No, they don't necessarily call Buddha a "god". But, i have been to India...i have seen them worship Buddha & spent time with both Buddhist & Hindu the monks there. It's more of a traditional thing than anything else. Anyone who takes the time to love, care for & bathe a statue is definitely in "worship" mode. The word "WORSHIP" means to have devotion for. Many Buddhist show devotion for Lord Buddha. They have strong love for him. Some sects are more "devotional" however while some think they don't need that devotion.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Haha, I thought Bodhisattvas were those who chose to come back to help others along the way even after they achieved their enlightenment. Could be wrong... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• good point!!!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2011