organic formula.......(no bashing on formula please)

I am breastfeeding but I havent made enough milk for him since he was born(done everything to try and up the milk but not working) anyway,

I wanted opinions about if you have to or choose to use formula would organic be an option for you? why or why not?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 5:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have not used organic. my question for you is. Did you eat organic when you were preggo or bf? if you eat organic then I can see using organic formula. I think it is silly when people go crazy making sure everthing is organic for the frist year of life for their kid when they did not eat organic when they were pregnant or breastfeeding. Then after the first year their kid does not eat organic b/c the rest of the family does not either. my family does not get organic. I only used Enfamil w/ my son. When I started back to work I did not make enough milk so I had to use some formula. My son did great with Enfamil so his Dr. said to stay with it. His dr. did not like the other brands as well.
    NOLANandKT

Answer by NOLANandKT at 5:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I used Good Start with both kids due to poor milk supply. They are 5 and 2 now and have never been sick more than one cold per year(if that) have NO health issues at all, are perfect weight, beautiful and EXTREMELY intellgent. DD could say all letters of the alphabet (in or out of order) before the age of 2, plus can count to 20 and recognize the numbers. Its what KINDERGARDEN teachers expect of students. She also spoke 3 times as many words as other babies at 1 year of age. Ds had similar experiences. Breast milk is awesome, but formula is good too. Pick one with dha in it, that's what supports their brain and eye development. I still give my kids dha foods. Theydidn't really offer a lot of organic at the time and none had dha. If it was organic AND dha then you can't get any better formua. If I had another baby that had to have formula I would choose organic with dha.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Good Start is the closest thing to Breast milk you can get. It does have dha it also is formulated so the milk molecules are smaller and easier for babies to digest. I didn't have a supply problem as most would think. I would fill up, but I had one little guy that would drain me and want more so I supplimented with Good Start. Keep right on nursing and suppliment as needed.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would only use organic formula, if I had no other options. I would never give a baby GMOs or pesticides or high fructose corn syrup.

This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Rklams, I couldn't agree with you more! I adopted my son @ 10 days old and its fair to say mom didn't eat organic. I can't sww why you wouldn't do every effort you could to make sure your child is getting the best. The 1st year of your child's life is soooo important in so many ways! Their base of intelligence, health and personality are formed here. Yes, it is helpful to eat organic while pregnant or when nursing buit the fact of the matter is breast milk is soo amazing for babies regardless and if you can't provide it why not give them 2nd best?

When I 1st adopted there were very few organic choices (only 2 1/2 yrs ago) but I see many more know. I used Earths Best and if I bought it on diapers.com in a case it was no more expensive than other formulas. Anything over $50 was free shipping. So you're good.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Oh, another thing to he'llp with mil production is Fenugreek. Its a natural herb. Its super cheap and is found in most healthfood or vitammin store. I actually had a friend whom adopted that was able to nurse!! There is also a special tea called "mothers milk"
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I didnt use it but if that's your only options then use it.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It was for us. My son had allergies, acid reflux, had colds, asthma....so for us going with the healthiest option was what I was most comfortable with. Some suggestions: go with a BPA free bottle to go with the organic formula. It makes no sense to go organic and then use harmful plastic that releases toxins into your baby every time he/she drinks. Glass bottle can be held in a great slide free pouch and you can look on line. Plenty of companies make BPA free plastic bottle but I like glass best. Then when you choose your organic formula....the packaging. Some containers they come in (same as non organic containers) are lined with lead. So that really does detract from the entire purpose of using organic. Research reputable companies. You can probably order on line, have it sent to you and then save money. Rather than going to the grocery store and paying their price plus their containers tend not to be as safe.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Where I would start: Europe. Many countries have banned plastics and packaging containing harmful toxins. Funny, same companies yet they don't do it for the U.S. So I bought my baby bottles from Switzerland. I would also order my forumla bulk from one of those countries after you do some research. It may cost more upfront - but for me it was worth it because I didn't worry about what I gave my baby. And after all my friends freaked out about the formula and bottle recalls....I had nothing to replace or worry about.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I do eat organic and have for a few yrs now ive tried Enfami and simulac and he has had issues with so I figuered might as well try the organic. e done a lot of research on the formula also. Ivgave him the 1sr bottle this morning.

tried fenagreek and it upset my sons tummy, mothers milk tea worked for a few wks but my milk supply went back down again( when it was working it still wasnt enough for him :( also I had a 10 lbs baby and at 5wks he's over 12 lbs so it's hard trying to keep up with that in milk supply :)
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010