six month old eating

It only took my son a week or two to get the hang of eating. My DD is 6 months and has beening eating for about a month. her tough still pushes most food out. We have tried cereal, peas, carrots, apples, bananas. she watches us eat. she wants the spoon and puts the spoon in her mouth. she seems to want to eat. it is just the food will not stay in her mouth and go down. the question I am asking is HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR YOUR LO TO EAT GOOD?

NOLANandKT

Asked by NOLANandKT at 6:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started slowly and didn't force or pressure child. Cereal is a good start because it is so mushy and bland. Then I moved on to veggies then fruit. It took I'd say 2 weeks for them to eat well.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I tried my dd at 6mnths too..she just didnt get the hang of things..so i just waited while shes just now about 8mnths and I tried her two weeks ago and now I cant get her to stop! So im guessing its each baby to their own..they do things when they want
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• There is great information here: http://www.childledweaning.com/

It sounds like your baby isnt' quite ready for solids.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My 10-month-old still hasn't gotten the hang of it. He can't even grab things with his hands well enough to keep the food in his mouth. However, he doesn't want any other kind of food but solid. He gets mad and fussy if he gets stage 1 or stage 2 foods.
    shadowskitten

Answer by shadowskitten at 7:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If her tongue still pushes it out, she isn't ready.

Although, my son was 4 months when I fed him...I don't recommend that at all....this was back in 1996. He didn't push it back out. He opened his mouth and took bites, by 6 months, he wouldn't touch baby food and I had to make it, 9.5 months, he could hold and eat a kid burger.

My next kid I will be following "baby led weaning" that rkoloms provided a link to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree not ready. the other link doesn't work. try this one: baby led solids particularly the Gil Rapely article. It's the bet thing i ever did.

Eating is like wa;king. It can't be taught, babies just do it on their own when developmentally ready. They only need to be offered opportunity.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My lactation consultant advised me to breastfeed exclusively for 1 year. It is well known that the longer one is breastfed the better immune system one has.
    Gabriela108

Answer by Gabriela108 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010