How long should I wait to take my baby to the doctor when a rash is the problem?

My 10-month-old has developed a rash on his face, chest, arms and legs. I figured it was an allergic reaction to something but even though we have changed foods, formulas, diaper brands, laundry detergents etc... he still has it. It will go from light pink to very dark red throughout the day. It's not like I want to keep him from the doctor if it's serious but I don't want to be one of those mothers that seem to run to the doctor whenever my baby does something. My two oldest have never had this problem. Help please!

shadowskitten

Asked by shadowskitten at 7:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would go ahead and take him now. It could be anything. They more than likely will tell you it's viral but best to have it looked at.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would go soon - sounds allergic in nature but thry will know better good luck
    muptgirl23

Answer by muptgirl23 at 7:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Excema (sp) also comes to mind not knowing what it looks like... My DD has horrible excema on her back and bottom a few times a year. My friends son has it all over sometimes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would take him now. My daughter had something similar at 8 months, they told me it was viral (after asking about new foods, bubble baths, etc) and to give her benadryl. The benadryl didn't really help, but it went away in another week or two. They may not give you a better answer than that, but you've tried things on your own so I think a trip is in order.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 7:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thats what the doctor is there for, you want to make sure everything is ok and if it's nothing great....if its something it'll get fixed.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I went thru that with my olest daughter when she was a baby. I tried everything, new detergents, baby soaps, different formulas.. then found out that my baby was allergic to the main formula.. so i had to switch to the SOY formulas... my youngest daughter was the same and my son had to go on the real expensive formula.. Neutramagyn.. ( not sure how to spell it) But yes my girls broke out in a terrible rash as well.. Talk to your doctor as well . He/she might tell you to try the soy milk..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Dont wait it could be exema and they can give you ccream that will fix that asap
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010