Were you informed this year?

Obama will again speak to our children. The wording seems benign enough this year. The standard "stay in school, do good etc speech.
Did your childs school inform or send permission slips this year ? Do you think they should have?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. My DS school is recording it and playing it tomorrow after they review it. WE had the option to not have our kids watch it but I see no harm given last years was almost pointless to my Kindergartner it will I am sure be just as pointless to my 1st grader. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No. My DD's school supports supporting the president.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I haven't received anything.
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 7:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, I haven't been informed through the school. One of my groups here on CM mentioned it, so I mentioned it to my kids. They know what to listen for and how to respond should they hear something that is not something that should be said by a president. I don't mind the benign "stay in school" stuff. I do mind the other stuff that was slated to happen last year before the lesson plans were released and parents responded loudly and appropriately.

We'll see how it goes.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We won't be watching this as part of our daily instruction, one of the benefits of homeschooling. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I haven't heard anything from my sons school. I can't remember if they watched it last year or not. If it's about education I don't see the problem. More presidents in the past should involve themselves in our childrens education.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They know what to listen for and how to respond should they hear something that is not something that should be said by a president

You tell your children that there might be things the President says that they might have to respond to, that might not be appropriate.

This is horrible he is The leader of our country, even if you don't agree with his policies they should still be taught to respect him.  Why all this fear?  When has it ever been a  concern when our President talks to school children?  I didn't like any of Bush's policies, and would care less if he gave a speech to school children.  I would never teach them to listen carefully ,so tat he doesn't brainwash you.

Please. This is just ridiculous.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Mine sent home the permission slips and i didn't sign them. They sent out an email saying that if they didn't get the permission slips back that they will consider that you giving your child permission to see the speech.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had to endure presidential pep talks when I was in school. I don't recall my parents flipping out and giving me a free half day off school based on their political beliefs.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Quinn- so your school believes that by NOT signing the permission slip, parents are giving permission to watch the show? Or was it a note to opt out? If it's the former, what an odd approach. I can not imagine any school that my kids have ever attended allowing kids to opt out of hearing a presidential address, if it were included as part of the school day. I do not know if they would have even notified parents. Of course, these were Catholic schools.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010