How do you feel about the Death Penalty?

Teresa Lewis, Virginia Woman With Borderline Mental Retardation Faces Execution
First Woman in Virginia to be Executed in Nearly a Century

Teresa Lewis, a woman diagnosed with borderline mental retardation, is scheduled to be the first woman executed in Virginia since 1912, unless Governor Robert McDonell or the U.S. Supreme Court step in.

momentofpeace

Asked by momentofpeace at 7:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the death penalty. If you intentionally take a life, you need to pay for it. There are people that have committed horrific crimes that are STILL waiting on death row (appeals), or in states that don't have the death penalty and are living out their lives on the state's dime. Ridiculous. Some people will never be rehabilitated, get rid of them.

This woman knew what she was doing. Her "borderline retardation" line is legal wrangling.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• extremely for it, but the punishment much fit the crime. Especially where it applies to child molesters, rapists, or murderers.
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 7:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree that there should be a death penalty and that the punishment should fit the crime. I also believe that prisons should be bare minimum existence - no tvs, no gym equipment, no free education, no nothing fun. It's like grounding a kid to their room with all their toys and games. Besides, if we cut out all the extras, that would save a boat-load of tax payer money.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm all for it. I have had no reason not to put my confidence in our legal system. If a person does something awful enough to warrant a death penalty decision and are convicted, (mental problems or not)the only thing I'd wish for is that they would do it faster. If we are going to pay to keep them in our system for years on end while they go through 3-4 appeals then why bother with the DP decision.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think the death penalty should always be an option. With that said, I think the punishment needs to fit the crime. "An eye for an eye" is one of the areas of the bible that I agree with strongly. I wish that they would have the ability to execute people based on the way they executed someone else, or that rapists would face the same fate they gave to their victims.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 7:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I oppose it. I don't feel its our place to take any life, for any reason, and its not a case where two wrongs make a right.

I do think they need to make changes to the prison system. I believe they shouldn't be privy to all sorts of things like tv and education, but I also think that we should be focusing more on rehabilitation (for most crimes, anyway). All our prisons do now is teach criminals how to be better criminals. Its a vicious cycle...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am all for the death penalty. Sounds like she knew what she was doing.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am for the death penalty, especially for sex crimes and crimes involving children.

She must not be as "borderline" as they are portraying her to be! She was smart enough to know the significance of an insurance policy, hire 2 hitmen and wait around watching as her husband lay dying! Flip the switch already!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She was intelligent enough to hire someone to murder someone else so I don't think because she is mildly retarded she should be given a pass. She deserves the same compassion she gave her husband and stepson so put her down.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:06 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I honestly don't know. This is one issue that has always been tough for me. For starters, I think that the death penalty should ONLY be used if it is proven without a doubt that someone murdered another person. Why should they have a right to life when they took it from someone else? On the other hand, though, I think death is too easy. Let them suffer in prison.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010