Two questions...

How would you feel if your child wanted to convert to a different religion than the one you have in their teens? What about when they are an adult? How would you react?

How would you feel if your child told you they were going to marry someone of a different religion than your family? How would you react?

Paix

Asked by Paix at 7:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I could care less what religion she wants to be, or the religion of her spouse. The only problem i would have is if she was trying to convert me to her new religion. I would laugh at her & joke with her for the rest of her life for even trying.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Fine with me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We encourage our kids to learn more about other religions, if only for the open-mindedness it brings. We just started a world religions course in our church and while the concept is great, the terrible closed-minded views expressed by some who are in there with us are pretty upsetting. If she chooses another faith, fine, just so long as she doesn't become a closed minded bigot, I'm happy.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have no problem with it.Religion is such an extremely personal thing to me,my kids have the right to choose that for themselves.I have no right to choose for them.They know my beliefs and if they choose a different path than mine,well,that's up to them.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 8:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have no right to choose their spiritual path, that is entirely up to them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Religious preference doesn't matter to me. As long as my son grows into a respectful, compassionate person who understands whatever paths he rejects, as well as the one he accepts, I don't care which path that is. He has to do what is best for himself, follow which path speaks to him.

Same for whoever he ends up with. As long as their paths are compatible I wouldn't care. (And I'm not talking the same path, I just mean as long as there won't be issues when it comes to how they're going to raise their children that they can't work through)

The only issue I think I could have is if he (or his partner) were to choose to follow a path that is closed minded and intolerant. I don't want that for my son, I want for him to understand and respect all people and their beliefs.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• what bandgeek said :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would expect this exploring to be done in my children's teen years but I, we, are still responsible for their general welfare. I would find some balance hopefully. My children are free to marry whomever they choose to love.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Honestly, as a Pagan and Unitarian Universalist, I could care less what religion my children choose. The only rule is that they cannot try to push their beliefs on anyone else. As to marrying someone of another religion, my BFF and I have "betrothed" her son to my daughter and they're Jewish. If they don't fall in love that's fine, but we would LOVE for that to happen. At least then we would already like the inlaws!!
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My only concern would be if the religion was some sort of small cult or overly fundamentalist, teaching her to close her mind to thinking for herself and non-believers. The decision is ultimately up to her on what to believe and who she'll marry. I just hope she'll use common sense about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010