2.5 year old always putting things in his mouth

Connor has always been a finger sucker, we have no issue with that; but for the past 6 months or so he is putting everything in his mouth. He's constantly walking around with both hands in his mouth. He's now talking around his hands/toys whatever is in his mouth. I'm sick of holding a wet hand :0) Any advice?

jms124

Asked by jms124 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just start telling him that he can't keep his hands/toys in there anymore.... just keep correcting it b/ really at 2 1/2 he doesn't need to suck his fingers anymore. Soon you'll have a 5 yr old still sucking his fingers. I have a 2 1/2 yr old too, he has learned and doesn't seem interested anymore
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• 6 months of "fingers out of your mouth" and "toys do not go in there" haven't helped, that was the first thing I tried. I'm looking for other suggestions.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ya know you might want to try putting juice or something on his hands he doesn't like... Perhaps lemon juice or green olive juice so forth.... I am not sure about tabasco sauce or anything like that.... but I guess if your really desperate lol. I know I would try to make the hands and toys he sticks in his mouth taste terrible, I bet that would work best. Good Luck!
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008