Charleston, SC area??

Does anybody know anything about the Charleston, SC area? Such as areas to avoid as far as crime is concerned or good hotels and areas to stay in. I am planning a trip there and don't know much about the area. Don't particularly want to arrive there with a 5 month old baby only discover that I have lodged us in the middle of the ghetto. I don't want to pay big bucks for a room but somewhere safe and clean works for me! HELP!

teagansmom10

Asked by teagansmom10 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Travel

• Hi. I live here, in the north area. It isn't all bad, but there are places to avoid, just like in any city. If you want to be in a central location, check out the Embassy Suites and Residence Inn on Montague. Those are two of the newest and are near shopping, dining, and entertainment. If you have questions about specific areas or places to check out, DM me.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 2:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• IDK about that. But some friends of mine just came back from there & said it was the coolest place ever. They want to sell their house in St. Augustine FL & buy a beach house in Charleston. Have fun! I would like to visit one day! Where are you from? I think its hilarious that you're scared of ending up in a ghetto. Are you a country girl? From what i heard, Charleston is a beautiful peaceful place.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I can totally understand. i was worried when i moved to Atlanta that i would get lost in the ghetto too. But, I've lived here for 10 years & still have not even been in the "ghetto". Here is a forum i found for you. They have street names listed where you might not want to venture into...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charleston-area/98721-safe-zone-downtown-charleston.html

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Lol. I am from Tennessee and I am a bit of a country girl!! How could you tell? And I guess I do sound kinda bad using the word ghetto. I actually work for a police department and I usually only see the bad stuff and I think it has warped my thought process on everything!! I don't think I would be as concerned about it if it were just me and hubby but since the baby will be with us I have that mama bear protectiveness thing going on! lol
    teagansmom10

Comment by teagansmom10 (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thank you samurai! The general consensus that I got was dead on with that website. So I will be going to Charleston but avoiding the northern area!!
    teagansmom10

Comment by teagansmom10 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thank you so much sherriet for the help!
    teagansmom10

Comment by teagansmom10 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010