How often do you clean out soap scum out of your washer?

Carol936

Asked by Carol936 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I dont occasionally i drop an ahh fresh tablet in there and it cleans it for me.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL...you can get soap scum there, too??
    CFMPprincess

Answer by CFMPprincess at 8:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Once a week...it gets bad with the combination of our well water and the laundry detergent.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Once a month - I run a cleaning cycle and clean the glass door inside and out (which is where soap scum builds on mine), clean the rubber gasket at the door and wipe down the outside of the machine.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Don't have that problem with our washer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Our washer doesn't get soap scum build up. Maybe it's our water?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have never had soap scum in my washer. I would use baking soda and vinegar, or maybe lemon kool aid (this is what I use to clean my dishwasher; the citric acid cuts through everything!)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have an old top load washer from Sears. I never knew how to clean it before ours had to have a part replaced. The guy who helped told me to pour a bottle of bleach in there and run a full cycle. Now it's nice and clean. I had the thing for 8 years before I cleaned it! yuck! Now I do it twice a year.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've never had a soap scum issue with my washing machine and it's 17 years old. I do use white vinegar with every load, so maybe that is why, though.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have heard that most of us use about 10 to 15 times too much soap in our loads, leading to soap scum and molds. The advice to check is to take 1 clean towel for top loading washers, 3-4 for side loading ones. Wash it again in hot water without ANY soap of any kind. Wait about 5 minutes into the cycle, and check the water. If there are suds, then too much soap is being used and is not leaving the clothes properly. This will also damage the fabrics. Consumer advocates say that the levels from the soap companies are still too high and you should go much lower to get clothes clean. FYI.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 8:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010