How do you plan your weekly meals for dinner?

mrsrooks

Asked by mrsrooks at 8:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use the calander on my computer. I carefully break down everything I'm going to make into different meals, and put down any ingredients I may need DH to pick up on his way home from work.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 8:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• go with the flow...turn tacos into chili..turn chili into spaghetti...so on
    Nicole_06

Answer by Nicole_06 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Since I usually drive my daughter to school, I hit the market usually every morning. I have no plan, just what sounds good at the moment, or what my daughter wants, hubby goes along withe the flow. I love to cook so when she asked me for thanksgiving in July I was thrilled and she helped! She is 8 and the best kitchen helper!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I plan my meals around which meat is for sale once I bring it home.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Based on what everyone likes. I make the same 12 or 15 dishes. I make 3 a week and just route.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 8:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I used to look at the weekly sales when they came out and plan around those. I would be careful to plan so that ingredients needed which are perishable and that would not be used up with 1 recipe, could be used in another, for instance, if using sour cream in stroganoff, I'd make sure to have baked potatoes another night or something baked with sour cream.. I would also think in terms of what I could do with leftovers if there were any. I would throw a variety of things into a soup pot at weeks end and my kids love the soups I make.
    Now I'm less organized, I know it's supposed to be the opposite, and I shop, look at sales and make up menu plans in my head as I go along. I am more inclined to buy somethings on impulse this way. Some forethought always pays.
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 8:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I plan what to buy when I write the grocery list. We eat out every Friday and then sometimes Saturdays and sundays as well it just all depends on how much DH has to pay in bills and in groceries and how much his check was for the week. But we go grocery shopping on Saturdays and we buy enough groceries to last us until Thursday since he gets paid on Fridays and we eat out anyway. I think of foods I want to mkae for the week and go from there so I guess I basicly go with the flow lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I keep a stocked pantry, then I hit the market and see what meat looks best and go from there.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 8:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i dont
    kandie01

Answer by kandie01 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't plan around weekly sales or specials. Stores count on the fact that if, for example, they have a sale on ground beef, you'll also buy buns for burgers or things for lasagna or spaghetti from them at the same time, and while you're in there you'll see other things that you will buy on impulse. I keep a stocked freezer and pantry. I take my pick of what I already have and build meals around those things. If cheese happens to come on sale, I'll go get cheese and know that I can add it to my food stock and not have to build a menu around it.
    Here's how I plan a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly menu:
    I have a list of over 60 dinners that my family likes to eat, some more than others. I will take inventory of what I have in the freezer/pantry/fridge, then match ingredients to dinners and make a list of meals. If I need to get a few things, I'll add those to my shopping list, no big deal.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010